Windshield Chrome Trim re-installation

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JimDog
United States of America

Windshield Chrome Trim re-installation

Post by JimDog »

I just put my windshield back in after having removed it for painting... Got it back in without much trouble. The chrome trim, on the other hand, is a whole different story. Can anyone offer some advice on getting it back in? I would really like to use the trim, as I have a complete set that is in good condition. Any advice, tips, tricks, or contributions to my psychiatrist bills would be greatly appreciated...
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Are you using new windshield rubber, or your old one? Although I haven't installed a set of trim yet, I would think a can of spray silicone would come in handy in this area.
If it's the old windshield rubber, you may need an act of congress to get it back in. :P
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Uh whoopsie. You were supposed to put the trim in the rubber BEFORE you put the windshield in.. :shock:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Uh whoopsie. You were supposed to put the trim in the rubber BEFORE you put the windshield in.. :shock:

bang.gif Dohhhhh! cuss.gif
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

Plus as far as going back in if I remember correctly the opening for a cab that has trim is slightly more open than one originally without trim. Is this correct or did I dream this?
JimDog
United States of America

Post by JimDog »

willy,

not sure if the opening is bigger, but it was in there before, and it will be in there again. I will say - it is a tight fit for sure, but I can't imagine that the trim will add enough to really make it noticably tighter.

I don't know why, but the thought of putting the trim before I put in the winshield never even crossed my mind. MadMax said it best - bang.gif Dohhhhh! cuss.gif
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

At least you helped me and others not to make the same mistake.. I would never of guessed the chrome had to be installed first. :D Thank you for helping me (In the Future).
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

Did many of them when I first started doing glass for a living
Your gonna love doing the trim
Windshield is out with rubber installed on glass outside of window facing up.
Glass sits on a couple of blocks to make it easier to work on
work the chrome trime on by squeezing the rubber between your thum and fingers, this opens the rubber flap that the chome sits in
When you have all the large peices on, tape the rubber and chrome to the window.
Intall any corners or joiner pieces, then flip the window over
Install the rope into the inner lip (remove and replace tape as needed)
If you havnt lost your mind yet from the rubber coming off the window or the chrome slipping out, you are now ready to intall the window.
DO NOT USE SILICONE ON THE RUBBER WHILE INSTALLING THE CHROME
you wont be able to open the rubber, and slippage is not what you want on these parts.
A little whipe around the inside outer edge with a rag with some silicone on it is all you need, but only when everything is ready to install
If you have never roped a window in before, find someone who has, this is not the time to experiment!
Hope it helps
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Ditto on the rope trick. It pulls the flap inside the cab without you having to dig at it. I used dish soap but just on the frame, not the glass or rubber. The trim I had to install was plastic, but has to be inserted into the rubber before you try wrapping it around the glass. Also, it helps to have someone (or sometwo) press the glass up against the frame while you pull the strings.

Course this was a flat windshield for a VW bug, not a big honkin curved piece of glass like we have in slicks. Can't imagine trying to re-use the old rubber either - it's got to be real soft and pliable or the cord trick won't work.

Doug
JimDog
United States of America

Post by JimDog »

Thanks for all the advice, guys. My plan is to remove the winshield and put it back in - with trim - this weekend. I am goiing to try and take pictures as I go - or maybe run the video camera - in an attempt to document the process. If nothing else - it may be the start of a new forum - the comedy forum...
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

PFM-64f100 wrote:At least you helped me and others not to make the same mistake.. I would never of guessed the chrome had to be installed first. :D Thank you for helping me (In the Future).

:iagree: I wouldn't have thought of that either.
At least I was able to contribute one of the things to NOT do in this situation. :rotflmao:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
donald luster

Post by donald luster »

I'm Not saying do this. But an old body man told me after I did the same thing that several body shops would grind the lip off the chrome and then glue it in the frame. But please don't do this do it correct> Don
goonie

thanks

Post by goonie »

I'm in the process of dismantling my 66 custom cab stepside and I can really appreciate a man coming forth and asking for advise. Your question will save me some frustration. Thanks.
GOONIE
JimDog
United States of America

Post by JimDog »

DocDave,

I followed your instructions to a tee, and it went as well as can be expected. All in all, it took about two hours, but most of that was getting the rubber and trim taped up.

The trim is in four pieces, with little clips that join them together. I kept trying to get the trim all clipped together and in the groove at once. That was futile. I then started with the lower left corner, and got the rubber for that section in place, then slid one section of trim in, then seated the glass in it's groove. I then taped the hell out of it so it wouldn't budge. I then did the lower right corner same way - got everything in place and taped it down good. Then the upper left, then upper right. By concentrating on one section at a time, it was manageable.

That part was a pain. Once I had all four sections firmly taped - and I mean FIRMLY - after all that time getting it in place, I wasn't going to let it budge. I then moved it into place and got it seated in the bottom grove, then worked my way up each side with the rope, applying inward pressure as I pulled the rope out.

The finished job looks great - definitely glad I put the trim back in. Really looks sharp. Oh - and no silicone - or any kind of lubricant. Went in fine. In fact, it is nice because your hands aren't all greasy, and you can get a better grip on the glass.

Thanks for the advice , guys.
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.