radio stuff

NY, NJ, PA, DE, DC, MD

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Marty in PA
United States of America

radio stuff

Post by Marty in PA »

Hey guys!
Looking for an antenna, speaker and maybe an AM/FM radio for my 65 F100. Would prefer to have the radio to fit in the dash if possible. Have an AM radio that is in the truck not sure if it works though (who listens to Am anyway except for listening to Rush).
Can't find the correct speaker at AutoZone or Advance. Can find the stuff in the catalogs but would prefer to buy from you all.
Marty

1965 F100 Short Bed w/390 and 4 on the floor.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Antennas are available from the usual truck vendors. They aren't cheap, and are a bit unique because of how they fit the curvature of the cowl.

There is no radio that fits the opening in the dash where the AM currently resides. You will have to cut up the dash to make something fit (and incur the disdain of people like me who have had their dash butchered by a P.O.), or do an underdash mount. Or, for quite a bit of money, you can have the AM converted to AM/FM.

As for the speaker: by now, any original speaker is going to be pretty dried out, tired, and barely useful. I would strongly suggest you buy a new speaker that matches the size of the original (I have one in a box in my garage). The old speakers used paper diaphragms that do not age well. You may be able to find one at Radio Shack or from a catalog place like Crutchfield. Chain auto parts stores only sell crap when it comes to car audio.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

Thanks.
Yeah most of the stuff in the catalogs "ain't" cheap. Shoot me an e-mail or PM and let me know what you want for the speaker.
I might just get a cd player for the time being and install under the seat or mount under the dash.
Still haven't gotten over to E-town to meet you. One of these days.
Marty

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I currently have a CD player/head unit mounted under the dash in a plastic console thing made for boats. It's just in with vise-grips right now (it was a rush job for a trip) but looks like it will work out well. I'll try to shoot you a photo.

I don't really want to sell the speaker since it's original to the truck but you can use it for sizing to find one for yours if you like.
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

Think thats the route I'll go for now.
Speakers are 5x7 I think with mounting holes 4 3/8 oc in both directions.
Marty

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I think I got mine on Amazon. Pretty inexpensive. The only tricky part is supporting it at the back while not blocking access to the defrost lever on the heater.
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

Thanks. I like inexpensive.
Marty