How To Re-Install Upper Steering Plate With Square Bolts

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

banjopicker66

How To Re-Install Upper Steering Plate With Square Bolts

Post by banjopicker66 »

I had a devil of a time trying to get the upper steering collar or plate installed, but found an easy solution. This is the one that the turn signal switch bolts to, and holds the upper bearing as well. It uses 2 square headed bolts to grab onto 2 slots in the upper column - and those bolts are really hard to get "squared" away - pardon the pun, please!
This applies to '65 - '79 column shifted trucks, without tilt.

Conditions: The steering column is out of the truck, disassembled, and the central steering shaft is removed.
Remove the shift lever from the shift collar by driving out the roll pin. (Be careful not to enlarge the hole with the drift.)
Reassemble the shift plate (at the bottom), spring, shift tube, and shift collar.
Feed the switch wires through the upper plate.
Feed the wires through the steering column slot provided. I recommend you use a string, and leave it affixed at the bottom until assembly is completed. Let the upper plate hang loose for now.
Insert a long piece of 1/4 rope or wire down the central tube. Bring this end out from the bottom and up to the top.
Insert the other end of the rope into the shift lever access hole, passing it through the upper slot in the collar.
Re-index the shift tube and collar to the bottom shift plate.
With the tube on the ground (if you are small, like me), bend over the tube to compress the assembly into the outer steering column tube.
With the shift tube and shift collar compressed, tie the two ends of the rope together, on the outside of the tube. If you don't get it perfectly tight, just use a stick or screwdriver and wind it tight enough to keep the assembly compressed.
If your shift indicator is the type that is a separate piece and sits inside a slot on the shift collar, insert it at this time.

Compressing the shift tube and collar down gives you the ability to properly set the upper plate without having to fight the tension from the shift collar.

Now you can set the upper plate onto the steering column and seat the 2 square headed bolts.
Once they are in position, and before they are fully tightened, cut the rope and remove it. It will allow the shift tube and collar to pop back up and seat against the upper plate.

Screw down the gear selector indicator.
Screw down the turn signal switch, and pull any slack through.
Re-install the shift lever with the roll pin.
Insert the center steering shaft from the bottom.
Re-install the upper bearing retainer or clips as appropriate.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That is a great write up John.
I only moved to the Hints so it won't get lost.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I just took some real fine wire and wrapped the square headed bolts and then fished that wire through the plate and then pulled the bolts into place. You have to make sure and use small enough wire so that it and the bolts will fit through the hole. Still a pain in the arse!!!