Brake lights w/backups

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

Brake lights w/backups

Post by 69supercj »

Thougt I had seen this topic on here but cant find it now?
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

You mean the 67 onwards type lense? The whole assembly light + lense fits in the 64-66 bed.

Here is mine.

69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Yeah I got that part, I was wondering what needs to be done as far as wiring goes. Can a guy just use a rear harness from a 67 up donor truck or just run some new wire to operate the backup lights? Also, I've got a toploader 4 speed and this is my first manual tranny so I'm not sure how you hook up a backup light switch.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Oh sorry I misunderstood.
My slick is automatic and so the wiring comes from the box itself and bypasses any of the stock wiring harness, I'm not even sure if Australian slicks even had backuplights when new so I'm no help if you want to use the original wiring or 67 harness. Someone else maybe able to chip in. To be honest the wiring is very simple and I would think a donor loom would be more trouble than new wiring.

The good news is, the toploader should have it's own reverse light switch built into the shifter mechanism itself.
The wiring is basic and easy to do yourself, you would need switched power from your fusebox or ignition switch to one side of the reverse switch on the shifter, then the other side of the shifter switch down to the backuplights themselves, you would need to splice the wire running down to the backuplights into two, one for each light. I cant remember exactly, but I think the backuplights earth out on the housing themselves.

I have seen some aftermarket toploader shifters that don't have a switch at all, or ones with the switches missing even from brand new out of the box!