Fuel and Waterpump Questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64shortbed

Fuel and Waterpump Questions

Post by 64shortbed »

One of the things I love about my slick is the unusual 262 engine, but it is also the source of most of my frustrations when it comes time to rebuild or replace something. I cannot find a fuel pump for the 262 anywhere, and I'm running out of places to try. There were waterpumps available, but they are all out of stock for both new and remans. So I have two questions for the experts out there:

1) Does anyone know if a fuel pump for a 223 will fit and function properly on a 262, or does anyone know someone who is able to rebuild one? Maybe there is a rebuild kit somewhere? Mine has sprung a leak from that hole right above the clean spot. (Glad I found it now, I'm a week away from taking it on a trip)

2) What would you use to seal the threads of the heater hose tip that threads into the waterpump? I used "The Right Stuff," but still have a tiny leak. What a pain to have to take that thing back off, plus wait another week for the special order gasket to get here.

-don
'64 F100 262-I6
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

223 pumps both fit. The only diff in the engines as far as external parts swapping is the distributor, it has a different gear on the 262 because the cam turns the other way. (gear drive, not chain)
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

Id use white silicone tape or plummers thread sealer. If I had to replace the heater hose nipple on the intake manifold or the waterpump. Thats on a 352 V8 anyway.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

Thanks so far, guys. I've figured out that the fuel pump diaphram is damaged and leaking fuel out the brether hole. I'm hoping the 223 and 262 pumps are interchangeable, because the info I've read that says the 64 262 pump is a one year only pump is kind of a bummer. My parts house doesn't list a FP for a 64 262 and all my internet finds has the part number obsolete.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

66CC

Post by 66CC »

Hunter's 64 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-60092-Mech ... B000C1F2MS

does it look like this ?

Danny
Looks like that one is for Australian models.
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

That looks like an upside down version of mine. I'm thinking one of those books that tell you which parts are interchangeable on various models will be useful. I purchased an electric fuel pump today and plan to use it while I send the original back east to a guy that restores them.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/detai ... 60092.html

this shows it canister down ?

Danny
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

66CC wrote:
Hunter's 64 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-60092-Mech ... B000C1F2MS

does it look like this ?

Danny
Looks like that one is for Australian models.

:hm: What like this?, :lol:

Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

So the upside down ones only work in Australia? :lol:

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to pull the fuel pump and send it to this guy (http://classicpreservation.com/). I called him this last week and he seemed to me to be an honest guy. A few days after our conversation, I was reading the letters to the editor in Hemmings Classic Car and Classic Preservation Coalition was recommended by the magazine to a contributer which made me feel even better.
I'm going to order one of those part interchangeability catalogues as that may become more useful as time goes on, and I'm looking for a spare fuel pump to keep handy. I like to drive it and sometimes take long trips so keeping a few critical (and sometimes obsolete) parts with me seems like a good idea.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

I pulled and cleaned the FP, it is a Carter X single action. I've had more time to check around lately and ran across these guys, Antique Auto Parts Cellar. http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_ ... motive.htm

They offer loads of parts and kits for various things, including fuel pump rebuild kits with the correct rubber parts to withstand today's fuel. I've ordered one of their kits and will let those who might be interested know how it turns out.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

Here was the culprit. The diaphragm had deteriorated near the center and had begun to leak. The rubber parts were hardening and after 50 years of service, and a lot of sitting around, who can blame them?

I placed my order to Antique Auto Parts Cellar just before noon on a Thursday and had the kit sitting on my porch Saturday; very prompt service considering I live 3K miles away from them. All the rubber parts are Viton, which is supposed to withstand ethanol, alcohol and the like. The kit was complete, including even a new fuel filter. The total came to about $45 including shipping, which was more than fair, in my opinion. Everything fit very well and the instructions were very clear, including tips and tricks for ease of installation. If their other products work this well, I'll definitely go to them again.

Here are the contents of the kit.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6