ANYONE OUT THER WHO HAS PUT 460 INTO 63 SHORT BED?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

KENS63

ANYONE OUT THER WHO HAS PUT 460 INTO 63 SHORT BED?

Post by KENS63 »

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANY HINTS OR PROBLEMS YOU HAD INSTALLING OR HAVE HAD AFTER INSTALL
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

(I put a 390 in my '63 so you can do it)
Best way is to use the Trans-a-dapt mount from Rick at Carolina Classics or Dennis Carpenter.
For my personal opinion, I would say the only real issues are making sure you have adequate clearance on the firewall and the headers at the steering box.
You will have to cut out your existing cross member where the old transmission mounted up. The Trans-a-dapt crossmember will take up the slack there.
Be careful cutting it out because the brake line and fuel line run in the area where you're going to cut.
Leave enough of the cross member on the drivers side for the e-brake cable mount. Cut the passengers side off as close to the frame as you can.
And........
Good luck and welcome to the family from South Texas.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
okiewelder

BBF

Post by okiewelder »

I put one in mine in 88 and drove it for a few years that way. It still had the 4 wheel drum brakes and they worked ok as long as they were adjusted and dry.
It seems like it was a kit but I cannt remimber who I got it from.
I took it apart in 90 or 91 to upgrade a few things and its still not on the road.

I have a 460 in the same truck but with a fatman mustang 2 front end.
I made custom mounts for the engine and the tranny. Not sure I would put the same engine in again but, its in there so it will stay. I did have to move the engine 1 1/2 inches over to the passengers side and I had to move the new master cylinder over. No big deal just part of it I guess. Now I am old and dont care about going fast so a 302 or 351W would do just fine.
ProStreet66

Post by ProStreet66 »

I put a 460 in my 64. I used a transdapt cross member for the motor and the C6. I used a toyota steering box and had to make a header for the drivers side. You have to remove the old trans cross member. Mine is not done yet but other than that I haven't had any more issues.
KENS63

Post by KENS63 »

thanks for all the help guys