EF-EL Thermo's for the Aussies on the Forum

Here you go guys. An Australian Chapter
Leeroy
Australia

EF-EL Thermo's for the Aussies on the Forum

Post by Leeroy »

Sorry to my US bretherin, but I don't think these fans are available round your side of the globe....

To anyone considering the EF-EL or AU fan upgrade, I'll show you my work in progress the last few days.

I've been contending with this atrocity you call a radiator since I've owned the slick, the tubes are actually ok but most of the fins on the drivers side are no longer there. It had a 7 blade flex fan, but no shroud so was useless. No point in trying to find a shroud becuase it was a hybrid hacked thing out of a god knows what and getting something that would've fitted was nigh on impossible. I was hoping this 16" zirgo wpuld get me through summer, but there's just no way with the tired radiator and single fan.

SO, I finally bit the bullet....
Mrs hasn't seen it yet :D
Oh this is listed as a 67-81 type, but the mounting points are identicle. It is a little longer (1 1/4" I think) than the factory 62, but it just hangs a little lower. The factory brackets on the support to hold the radiator are long since gone, so mne is effectively the same as a 66 support (as far as mounts are concerned)

I wasn't going to waste time trying to fab a shroud and possibly fit a second fan, so I took a tape measure and looked at some falcons. I figured if the falcon twin fans could cool in our summer then it will be fine on the effy.... Radiator core on the effy is 690 wide, to the support mounting tabs on the end is about 710ish. EF-EL fans are 700. :D Aha!
2 bolts and she's out of the falcon and in my hand. $50.
Took the relay holder with 4x relays for another $5.... :D
ImageImage

Looks like the two brackets on the right will need to go and maybe some trimming on the top left.

My clevo is pretty far forward, so LOTS of measuring. With the new radiator, seems to net a whopping 5mm between the waterpump snout and the fan shroud. I'm happy :D

Trimmed both right side ones completely off

This one can stay, but will need a hole drilled in the support.
Top left needed a trim.

Clips over the top,
And it all lines up beautifully!

With regards to bolting it down, 3 of the standard bolt holes line up with the shroud nicely, I only had to drill the one hole in the radiator bracket for the bottom left bolt.

Small gap undearneath of about 10mm is filled up nicely with some foam.

Stay tuned for the completed product!
557f1
Australia

Post by 557f1 »

Good job leith,
They are really good fans as they are designed for continuse use in taxis.
I have a set of AU fans for mine,
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

How did the AU fans fit Darren? The wrecker had none in stock so I couldn't measure them. I've been told they are a bit narrower?
557f1
Australia

Post by 557f1 »

I haven't fitted them as yet, I 'm using a alloy radiator so mounting will be different
I was thinking of making a new surround for them ,
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Looking good Leith!, I have a 16" Davis Craig in Lenore , and it is really noisy! and I don`t think it works all that well, I`m keen to see your`s finished and your thoughts on how it works out.
Nice toe shot by the way! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Thanks! A bit of metal shaving from the grinder got stuck under the bit that holds it to your foot the other day. WHOOOOAAA Burny!. Whats the lesson here??? :D I had earmuffs and goggles on!

Well, I'm stuffed. But they are IN and they work great so far! I want a thermal switch to activtate it, but annoyingly the bung I want to use is in the bottom tank and I don't know how 'cool' it will be. I'll check the lower hose temp over the next few days and then decide on a switch from there. For the meantime, just a simple on/off switch.

This is the only 'problem' I encountered. The radiator is tapered from the top, so the top leans back toward the engine a little and gets closer toward the support at the bottom. I guess this is to clear the bonnet release, but anyway it works. Tough to see in the pic, but the bottom of the pic below the bolt, the rad support has a gusset or something. My drivers side has a doubler (repair.) so it fowled ever so slightly, but probably still would without the doubler. It could have easily been cleaned up with the grinder (about 3-5mm) but it was a bit early for the neighbours. Thought about just tightening the bolt and letting it bend itself into shape, but I was worried that might upset the tanks/solder. So I put a small 5mm grommet on both sides on the bottom bolts. Worked a treat!

I've lost my overflow bottle (No room with the correct radiator) but it never held any fluid anyway.

Aaaaand goood ridance!
Check out the corrosion!

I'll be interested to see how it cools on a hot day, but this radiator holds 50% more fluid than the old one (7.5ltrs vs 11) and the amount of air getting sucked through is surprising! I've also relocated the transmission cooler to underneath the bumper.
All in all, I was really surprised how easy this was, the most time consuming thing is the wiring. I'm not completely happy with how neat it isn't, but I'll get back to that.

This also answers the question of which radiator fits. This was listed as a 66-81 and is longer than the 62 is meant to be, so it hangs below the opening, but it bolted up to the stock location beautifully. Incase anyone with a 61-65 is reading, mine had the radiator attachment supports removed thus making it the same as a 66 support.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

That old radiator looks more like a XY to XD one, I`ll get some pic`s
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Leeroy
Australia

Re: EF-EL Thermo's for the Aussies on the Forum

Post by Leeroy »

Hooked up one of those Davies Craig adjustable fan controllers, works well but I have found a problem when cranking. If the fans are running whilst trying to start on gas, there isn't enough current left to fire! Petrol is ok, but not gas. Easy to remedy with another relay, but something to think about if you're doing the mod!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image