Insulation

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rusted64
United States of America

Insulation

Post by Rusted64 »

Hello all,

I had to tell you all about the insulation I found and that I will be using for my Slick and probably more.

Here is the link.

http://www.bondedlogic.com/construction ... nt-barrier

Now, I purchased the 75' roll from Home Depot and just received yesterday. I havent installed it, but it looks to be some good stuff and should be enough to do every square inch of the cab, doors, hood, and bed if I wanted to (would'nt do that).

I chose Home Depot because of the price and free shipping to the 48 states, sorry Iceman and others not in this area.

Click on the three distributors for the insulation and you will see why I chose Home Depot. I cant believe there is such a price difference for the same stuff.

I hope this helps some of you who might be ready, or soon to be ready for this part of your project.

J
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Insulation

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Rusted64 wrote: chose Home Depot because of the price and free shipping to the 48 states, sorry Iceman and others not in this area.
no mention of whether they (hd) sell it in their stores .

im not going to lose any sleep over "shipping discrimination" as plenty of different types of insulation available up here anyway, enough for roof and floor sections are all i would want.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

Yeah, I think it is only an online order option.
1964 F100, 292ci

DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

Thats quite a deal. I'll be looking for this stuff soon. Glad you posted it!
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
andgott

Post by andgott »

Is the HD stuff single sided or double?? Looks like a great deal- I'll be looking forward to seeing what you think of it after you install it!
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

Actually, it is single sided, which is ok with me. It should still work well.

Although, I should call them, because it is sort of false advertising. If you look at the picture, the roll shows both sides have the foil.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
1964 F100, 292ci

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

this is good USA made stuff easily found around here
http://www.reflectixinc.com/
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

If you want to attach your insulation, the experts say put the foil side to the outside.
Also, for the adhesive, I used contractor grade liquid nails, which doesn't seem to be effected by heat and what ever moisture is in the atmosphere.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
TonyC
United States of America

Post by TonyC »

Uncle Skip wrote:If you want to attach your insulation, the experts say put the foil side to the outside.
Also, for the adhesive, I used contractor grade liquid nails, which doesn't seem to be effected by heat and what ever moisture is in the atmosphere.
I'm getting ready to insulate mine and have a couple questions for you. Where did you get the info on the foil out part? Also, does it matter which type of liquid nails? They make more than a dozen types of construction grade, and since it's winter there are some that can be applied in colder temps.
1962 F-100 Flatbed
2004 Road King Custom
DM66FE482
United States of America

Post by DM66FE482 »

Tony, I called the folks at Ultra Touch and they said for my truck application put the foil side out.

Don
TonyC
United States of America

Post by TonyC »

DM66FE482 wrote:Tony, I called the folks at Ultra Touch and they said for my truck application put the foil side out.
Yeah, their website says:
The single-side foil product is great for acoustic applications where sound can be absorbed into the natural fiber side, leaving the foil facing to block radiant heat transfer.

Okay, but I guess my question would be, wouldn't foil side in help keep road noises down since the fiber side is supposed to absorb sound? Or are we really splitting hairs here?
1962 F-100 Flatbed
2004 Road King Custom
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Radiant barriers (foil) need an air gap towork. Doesn't matter if that gap isinside or out. But if the foil touches the metal of the cab it won't do its job.

Building scientists have proven this (I'm a builder/remodeler). I'm more inclined to believe the scientists at buildingscience.org than the instructions from a supplier... who's trying to sell me something.

My 2c..
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

I honestly would have never of thought there was a difference. Is the double sided the better option? And I think I've asked this before but is it okay to put the new stuff over old stuff even if the old stuff is coming apart? That stuff is miserable to try to scrape.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Bought a roll of Reflectix at the local Home Depot. Picked up a can of 3M upholstery spray glue and will be installing this week after next. The product has aluminum on both sides and plastic in between almost like bubble wrap. I squeezed it and it did not pop? Really light weight so it should stay glued to the cab roof in 100 degree + heat here in the Mohave. Going to put it under the cover on the firewall, behind the fuel tank, inside the doors and on the entire floor. This stuff is really cheap and easy to work with. I also have some Peel and Stick kind of a rubber with foil over it. Stuck some in the door a while back and it fell off in the heat. Surface was not cleaned so that may have contributed to the failure to bond? Think I might try it on the floor where gravity will help keep it put.
William-in-St. George