Holley 1904 accelerator link install

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Astrowing

Holley 1904 accelerator link install

Post by Astrowing »

I rebuilt my carb this weekend and reassembled the carb using the Holley 1904 manual dated (December 1951) as a reference. It has fantanstic detail in the manual so it is highly recommended. However, the pictures of the link showed it on the outside of the throttle lever so I reassembled it that way. It turns out that in that configuration it binds, preventing the throttle from returning all the way to idle. I did find a picture in the Ford manual showing the link on the inside of the throttle arm, and clip on the outside. Reassembled it that way and no binding!

Also, on my carb, the accel and fuel bowl balls were retained with welsh plugs. I removed them and tapped the chambers for hex plugs so they can be removed easily in the future. All the pictures I found had slotted screw in plugs for the retention.

Holley 1904's were used on many vehicles, including International Harvester trucks, so refer to your Ford manual for the proper link configuration.

Oh, and the engine idles and performs great with the rebuild. No partial choke required due to clogged idle passages.
1961 caribbean turquoise flareside 223