Instrument Panel Template

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Instrument Panel Template

Post by charliemccraney »

Just finished drawing it. It's not what I call perfect but it's very close. It's too large for most of us to print on one piece of paper at home so I've made it to be printed on 3 pieces of 8.5 x 11 and taped together. The cross in the center should be the approximate location of the center of the original instrumentation.

The horizontal and vertical lines are for alignment when taping the pieces together. The horizontal lines measure 1". The verticals are 7.5". Use those dimensions to ensure that it is printed to scale.

When it's assembled, it should fit into the panel nicely

This should be very helpful for determining the layout of the gauges because you can draw it out and lay it over your existing instruments to see how it will look before cutting, welding, gluing, hammering or dropping anything.
When the layout is finalized, mark the centers of all gauges on the template, and transfer it to some sheet metal... or whatever it is you're working with. I've been using 47 pound paper for templates or various projects and it works great. It's friendly with my printer and thick enough that one template will work 3 or 4 times before it's totally trashed... maybe longer if you're careful. Of course, only use the heavy stuff once everything is finalized. It's expensive.

If anyone would like, I can send this in several CAD formats.
Last edited by charliemccraney on March 3, 2012, 10:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That's cool Charlie.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
stoney1964

Re: Instrument Panel Template

Post by stoney1964 »

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
charliemccraney

Re: Instrument Panel Template

Post by charliemccraney »

I now have an actual metal insert made and the template needed slight adjustments. I just posted updated templates.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.