Blind nuts in sheet metal

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Blind nuts in sheet metal

Post by Uncle Skip »

FYI
Read this and I think it will be self explanatory. Yes, Mar-K sells the thread inserts.
http://www.mar-k.com/Thread_Insert_Install.pdf
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I use these a lot in racecar fabrication. I actually use a gun that looks a lot like a rivet guy. I would recommend only using seel inserts, the aluminum ones are too soft and the threads don't last that well. Check Lawson Products for complete kits in different sizes.

SPark
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Blind nuts in sheet metal

Post by Toyz »

Keenserts is another brand name which to me is more "user-friendly" :2cents:
They are also removable in case of the inevitable screw-up :evil:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
sully5

Post by sully5 »

I have rivet-gun type as well. Been using them since my drag racing days. My lexan was held in my car by these with button-head stainless screws. I use them a lot in my slick, especially in the firewall and inner fenders.

FYI, Harbor Freight actually has the installer gun for these now. But don't use the inserts that come with it. I found the good steel ones on ebay CHEAP!
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
sully5

Post by sully5 »

I used these inserts for my door panels. FYI the 1/4-20 inserts work great for this.
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

[quote="sully5"]I have rivet-gun type as well. Been using them since my drag racing days. My lexan was held in my car by these with button-head stainless screws. I use them a lot in my slick, especially in the firewall and inner fenders.

Sully,

You say you use these on your firewall and inner fenders...did you use these for the hidden nuts for your hood hinges? And are you also using them in place of j-clips on your inner fenders?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil
sully5

Post by sully5 »

No, I don't use them for anything structural or high strength. I use them for attaching wiring clips and things like that. You can actually squeeze to installation tool too hard and pull the threads out of the nut. Therefore I would be VERY leery of using them for hood bolts. I only use them for <1/4" bolt sizes. I used the standard J clips for my inner fenders but attached things TO my inner fenders and firewall with nutserts.

FYI: When I used them on a Lexan windshield, there was very little tension and there was about 40 of them (10-32 stainless button head machine screws).
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Cool, thanks for the explanation!
Phil