The fever has hit and not sure that I can resist any longer

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BigMike
United States of America

The fever has hit and not sure that I can resist any longer

Post by BigMike »

I've been looking at GT500's for 4 years now and I think I'm going to pull the trigger. If I don't, then it will be a 2013 Mustang GT convertible. This car will be my semi-daily driver.

My DD is an '09 Jeep Rubicon that I plan to sell. Great vehicle but the performance bug has bitten again.

I will probably sell my '02 very customized Harley Road King, but that will depend on what I can get for it. If I can't get $15,500 for it, I'll keep. I have double that in it but it ain't no garage queen although it looks like it.

The Slick, just not sure yet. I really need something that I can drive comfortably if I need to take it on trip. If I keep it, it loses its spot in the garage. It will also be the other part of the semi-daily driver. It will definitely get an automatic and Classic Auto Air. If I sell it, I'll probably get a 83-87 Chevy Pickup shortbed. I know, it's a Cheby, but they look a ton better than the same year F-150's and the Chevy smallblock, no brainer. I went and looked at this one today but I wouldn't give them more than $10k for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1423.l2649

I'm looking at this '09 but I just started looking and need to get my plan in order first. It is only slightly modded and is exactly the right color. I'd really like a convertible but the prices are just too high. I might be able to find a low mileage '08 vert. My first choice, if I can afford it is a 2010 since it has the redesigned interior/exterior.

1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
cooter

Re: The fever has hit and not sure that I can resist any lon

Post by cooter »

that car is purdy, how about a SRT 10 pickup, power, handling and a good daily driver
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Actually I just amended my semi-daily driver truck search. Probably going to look for a 2005 (give or take a couple years) F-150 extended cab/short bed with around 50k miles and a V8. I've seen some really nice ones for around $12k to $14k.

The reason for this whole shuffle is I've been lusting after a GT500. But every time I've bought a performance car in the past 10 years, I didn't keep it because it wasn't practical for things like leaving it at the airport or over night in downtown Atlanta. Now, I don't have to. I can drive the GT500 as much as I want but also have a truck for times when I'd rather not.
2006 Cheby Silverado
cooter

Post by cooter »

just remember the spark plug problems with the f 150s, last thing you want to do is buy a truck and spend thousands removing the heads to repair threads.
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

I had on 05 Mustang with a Procharger. Nice ride but I will not have another. My family has had Mustangs since 67.

Everytime I parked the Mustang people screwed with it. I walked out of WM one day just in time to see a guy shove a shopping cart into the rear bumper. I wanted to stomp his face but I called the cops instead.

Another time I parked out in the south 40 and a guy parked so close to me that I had to open the passenger door to get in. He was driving a 70s C10. I walked back into WM and bought a box of toothpicks and a tube of super glue. I wonder how he got in?

Same thing with the Harleys. I take the $100 gas cap off and put the $10 gas cap on whenever we get out of sight. Ive had a helmet and a seat taken in the past.

Stupid people.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

cooter wrote:just remember the spark plug problems with the f 150s, last thing you want to do is buy a truck and spend thousands removing the heads to repair threads.
What engines had this issue? Please tell.

bmcgc wrote:I had on 05 Mustang with a Procharger. Nice ride but I will not have another. My family has had Mustangs since 67.

Everytime I parked the Mustang people screwed with it. I walked out of WM one day just in time to see a guy shove a shopping cart into the rear bumper. I wanted to stomp his face but I called the cops instead.

Another time I parked out in the south 40 and a guy parked so close to me that I had to open the passenger door to get in. He was driving a 70s C10. I walked back into WM and bought a box of toothpicks and a tube of super glue. I wonder how he got in?

Same thing with the Harleys. I take the $100 gas cap off and put the $10 gas cap on whenever we get out of sight. Ive had a helmet and a seat taken in the past.

Stupid people.

Damn, I've never had issues. I'd really hate to see someone fuking with my rides, it wouldn't be pretty for them. I always leave my helmet on my Harley and never had an issue. I was a bit nervous in Sturgis and Milwaukee leaving the bike during the rallies but got over it and nothing happened to them.

There are a lot of low life asswipes out there though. Part of the reason I want to have a truck to drive anywhere.
2006 Cheby Silverado
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

I test drove a 2013 Mustang GT in both automatic and 6 speed. I'd be bored with the auto so whatever I get will be a 6sp.

It's going to be a fun seaching, selling, trading, and buying.
2006 Cheby Silverado
zman
United States of America

Post by zman »

My wife has a loaded mustang . i gotta 2011 f150 And a 64 f100. All have been good cars of course My 64 needs a fuel pump right now
"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."-General George S. Patton Jr.
cooter

Post by cooter »

all the triton v8 and v10 motors up to 04 spit the spark plug out of the head and took the threads with them, the 04-08s had the spark plugs break inside the head when trying to remove them. Try a google search and you will have weeks of reading ahead. If you buy a truck froma dealer tell them to change the plugs before you buy it, if they break they can deal with it before you buy it.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

yeah, and timesert inserts took care of that for far less than head replacements. bang for bucks i would own a 99 or 00 lightning with all the recalls already done. the str 10 has more hp, but the 6speed is weak like glass and the launch window is as big as a dime. l's smoke those pigs all day long at the track. i had a 99 and loved it. i actually loved my 93 more. better looks and sound and rode out better than a porsche. lol
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

cooter wrote:that car is purdy, how about a SRT 10 pickup, power, handling and a good daily driver
ROTFLMAO!!! Really?!
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Ezernut, whats wrong trany? Stick truck has the t 56 and the crew cab gets the 48re which are both good trannys. What do you mean by "launch window as big as a dime" ?
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

you ever try and launch a 500hp pickup? i guess if you are real good you could do it, all i've ever seen in person just go up in smoke at the line. the t56 isn't recommended for any towing. the lightning still has 850 lb bed rating and can tow 5000lbs. they are cool trucks though and i am not trying to pick a fight with ya.
:mrgreen:
always

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
cooter

Post by cooter »

i was quite surprised when a few people i know bought srt 10s and i drove them, if you feather the clutch on dry pavement (no gravel) the truck can launch well, but drop the clutch and look out. I wouldnt use the truck to haul a bobcat but it is a fun and functional truck (crew cab) to drive. I do like the lightning also but a regular cab wouldnt work for me. The crew cab comes with the 48re auto tranny which makes it a nice for daily driving. Why didnt ford make a crew cab lightning? Would have been a good seller im sure.
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

Or you could get a GM with a Dmax, put a kit in the trans and eat srt10s all day...
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Well, the Jeep is officially for sale.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2974080446.html
Last edited by BigMike on April 23, 2012, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Cheby Silverado
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

well written ad and a sharp lookin' jeep. should sell fast.
always

BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

ezernut9mm wrote:well written ad and a sharp lookin' jeep. should sell fast.
Thanks, it always amazes when I see an ad that says "Jeep for sale" and that's about all you get.

I had the ad up for 2 hours yesterday and a guy 2 towns north sent me an offer for $21k. I told him no thanks. If it sells fast, the Slick is my DD which ain't a bad thing.
2006 Cheby Silverado
Effie

Post by Effie »

ezernut9mm wrote:yeah, and timesert inserts took care of that for far less than head replacements. bang for bucks i would own a 99 or 00 lightning with all the recalls already done. the str 10 has more hp, but the 6speed is weak like glass and the launch window is as big as a dime. l's smoke those pigs all day long at the track. i had a 99 and loved it. i actually loved my 93 more. better looks and sound and rode out better than a porsche. lol
I'm with Chris. Would totally go with the 2nd gen Lightnings, if you can find one clean and taken care of.

The 04+ 5.4s did have plug issues... and they do make the thread inserts. They started having issues with the newer engines, too... course I've been away from working the parts counter at the dealer for almost 6 months now... its not as fresh in my mind as it used to be.
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

Effie

Post by Effie »

BigMike wrote:I went and looked at this one today but I wouldn't give them more than $10k for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1423.l2649
Aaah.... you weren't at Streetside cause you'd heard its an indoor car show... you were shopping! Busted! :lol:
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus