Slick turn signal wiring

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Slick turn signal wiring

Post by Uncle Skip »

Repairing, re-wiring, or replacing the turn signal cam in the steering column can cause some head aches if you don't understand what all the wires are for.
I wrote this for a couple of questions that were posted in the other discussion forums but I thought it might help to put it here too.
I'm not sure if I can make this clear with just words, but I'll try. And note that I'm only talking about the turn signals and brake lights here.
In the turn signal cam under the steering wheel, there are 7 wires attached to the mechanism. One wire each for every turn signal lamp. One on each corner of the truck. They generally are wires with a stripe.
When you move the turn signal to "right" turn, the contact inside makes a connection with the two wires for the right front and rear turn signal bulbs. Note again that I said front and rear all have separate wires.
There is one wire that grounds to the horn rim and it will be a solid color.
Then, there are two solid color wires that go to the center tap of the turn signal cam.
One is the hot wire that comes in from your flasher unit for the turn signals. It is the wire that supplies power to the individual wires that go to the turn signal bulbs. Only two bulbs (both on the same side front and rear) will come on when you move the cam to turn right or left.
The second solid color wire goes to the center tap from the brake light switch and connects to both rear turn signal lamp contacts (wires). When you activate the brake light switch, it over rides the turn signal while leaving the front signal wire untouched. Since all 4 wires are individuals, you can have the brake light in the rear come on even with the turn signal in the turn position while the turn signal keeps operating.
You just need to noodle this out and then identify which wire is which and I think you'll solve your problem.
I sure hope this makes sense and that it helps someone out.
BTW
When you look at the turn signal switch/ cam as it mounts to the steering column, note the two solid colored wires go to the center tap. One comes in from the brake light and the other comes in from the turn signal flasher.
Actual turn signal lamps are located as follows:
The front right turn wire is the one on the top right.
The rear right turn wire is the one on the bottom left.
The front left turn wire is the one on the top left.
The rear left turn wire is the one on the bottom right.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?