brake blues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jeffw

brake blues

Post by jeffw »

my brakes on the ol 63 are makin the brake lights come on by themselves,, I'd have to go out and step on the brakes and let go, then they'l shut off, its got a new master cylinder, and brake/wire thingy
they'll stay on all day if you let em,, what gives?? or is she turnin christeen on me?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

If you are running a pressure switch & single master cylinder still. The only thing I can think of is your brake pedal is hanging up just enough to leave pressure in the system. When you step on them again it bounces back enough to let all the way up because you just "tapped" it instead of holding it down.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Jeff.
I'll bet you've never changed the brake lines (steel or rubber).
After all these years, the rubber swells shut causing residual pressure on the system.... that is, pushing the pedal will force fluid thru the swollen rubber but it won't let it release completely. Unfortunately this is a problem that will only get worse until you ruin a set of brake shoes and maybe the drums because it keeps the brakes energized all the time.
As a minimum, I suggest you get new rubber brake lines ( or new rubber AND steel all around if you can swing it), flush the system with denatured alcohol, blow it out with air so it'll be dry and go back with new fluid.
When you get the old rubber ones off, cut them in half and you'll be amazed at what you see - no hole in the line :shock: .
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
jeffw

brakes

Post by jeffw »

yeah I've never changed the brake lines,, ever,, I owned the truck well over ten years,, the ol master cylinder and a brake cylinder and some new shoes in the front was all,, I'll definitly look into your guys suggestions, thanks..
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Jeff,
May give some thought to upgrading (dual MC-Disk) while your into the brakes. Well worth it.
Fred
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Jeff, I could walk you through a simple drum- drum dual MC swap, takes an afternoon.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.