bad engine noises - waterpump?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

douglloyd

bad engine noises - waterpump?

Post by douglloyd »

Yesterday I was hauling a load of stuff with my '66 F-350. Coming back from Home Desperate I had about 2500lbs of Sakcrete, mortar mix and cinder blocks among other things when the engine started making a screech during acceleration.

I pulled over and checked it out - oil level OK, nothing real hot. After it cooled enough to pull the rad cap, I checked that and the AF was right up there. Fan belt was OK and the alternator spun OK by hand. So I hopped back in and pretty much idled the four or five miles back home, as the screech would come back at anything close to 2000RPM. Didn't seem to matter clutch in or out, or what gear I happened to be using.

The 300 6 up front was a rebuild exchange by the P.O. in 2003 and normally runs just fine. Dunno if they changed out the water pump during the exchange or not. The truck's been sitting about a month or so without being driven. My guess is it's the waterpump? What's the easiest way to tell?

thanks,
Doug
bertha66

Post by bertha66 »

Did you check the fan belt? Sounds like it is slipping. It can glaze over and slip.
1966 F-100 4x4 390hipro
1964 Galaxie 428 ci
1967 F-100
1968 F-350 crew truck
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I would say belt too. A screeching waterpump is usually a dead/leaking waterpump.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

JC is right about the leaking, but I have had several water pumps that went out with bad bearings, but never leaked.
If you do not have one, now is the time to get a good mechanic's stethoscope. If you do not know what it is, it is a stethoscope with a rounded chamber were the two ear tubes meet, and a long threaded rod which screws into the bottom of the chamber. Usually the rod is 2 piece, and threaded to screw together to make it longer.
With the engine idling, and being alert for the fan blades, put the tip of the stethoscope on the water pump housing near to the bearing, just above the shaft.
You should hear a whirring sound if the bearings are OK, but anything else - well, you can get a good idea just by listening.

I cannot tell you how many times that stethoscope has saved me frustrations galore, time and money.

You can check for the same noises in alternator and A/C compressor bearings, valve clicking noises, rear wheel bearing noises, anywhere there is a rolling type bearing. (It doesn't work for sleeve bearings well.)

It could also be your alternator. You'll hear the clicking and grinding in the bearings (check front and back) with a stethoscope long before they will screeeeeeeeeeeeeech at you.

Good luck!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Never used a stethoscope (sounds like a great idea) but have used a point pice of 2x4 or a broom handle for the same thing. Put the wood up against the bearing and listen to the other end. BE CAREFUL of the belts and fan.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Mine was doing the same thing after I replaced my fan belt. I matched the amount of slack to the existing belt and it started making noise soon after. Adjusted it tighter and it went away. I think it's probably to tight was makinga little bit of a different noise, so I'm going to have to play with it before I burn up a bearing the water pump or alternator.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Sounds like the belt to me also. For a quick check on the water pump you could loosen the belts and see if the bearing shaft feels loose or rolls thru with a rough sound / feel.

Another thought is was your alternator putting out a heavy load? sometimes the load will make the belt slip if the pulley or belt has some wear in them
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Wow! A matter of hours and I've got all kinds of great ideas!

THIS LIST ROCKS!!!

I'll check the belt again - I had loosened the alt yesterday while parked to give it a spin by hand, but did not pull off the belt or look at it. Start with the cheapest easist stuff first. I have a can of tacky spray for squeaky fan belts and will try some of that stuff too.

It was daylight, so I did not have lights on. I think the alternator is OK and would not have had a high current load by then - this was the trip back home.

I've never had a water pump fail while driving - most of the time I've either been driving something newer or had already replaced this item with a rebuilt while building up a driver. They used to be fairly cheap compared to import prices. As hot as it gets down here, a cleanout on the radiator, fan shroud and good hoses complete the package.

thanks all,
Doug
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

JC, A long handled screwdriver works great too - but I am not fond of sticking my head down near whirring fan blades to put my ear against the handle!
The stethoscope is the fastest, easiest and safest way to check out noises.