Transmission code

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cerberus1966Six

Transmission code

Post by cerberus1966Six »

We finally got the 1" of grit and grease off the engine and transmission, and we found this code on the transmission, which is a 4-speed on the floor with the "underdrive" first gear:
T18-1
W.G. DIV

This doesn't match anything on the site's VIN decoder, and we've long since realized that there have been a number of swaps on the vehicle--rear axle, discs up front--so the data tag, even if original, isn't giving pertinent info.

Also could somebody suggest other spots to look for the VIN on the body? These doors probably aren't original, either.

Thanks.

Cerberus
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

I remember seeing a VIN # stamped in my 66 frame rail. Drivers side front if I remember correctly.

The Trans sounds like its a Borg Warner T !8. should be from a later truck.
Mine has a T 18 from a 79 model.

Just out of curiosity do you have trouble finding 3rd gear? That seems to be a common problem with them.
Theres a detent pin on the reverse shift fork that has a spring that breaks and lets the shift shaft catch the reverse fork when going to 3rd.

Just thought I would include this info in case yours is doing this yet.
cerberus1966Six

Transmission code

Thanks for the pointers. Could be the brakes and rear axle came from the same truck as this tranny, I suppose. The 4-speed seems a good match for the Dana limited slip rear anyway. The 240 engine is the weak link, even if I have been urged to maintain the originality of the straight six. :wink: Don't get me wrong: I like the Six, but the rest of the drivetrain can handle just a bit more.

In fact third gear does give a little grief. The whole thing is a bit sloppy, but I didn't think I was *that* bad at shifting. Reminds me of the first tranny in my '62 Econoline: I couldn't shift that thing from first to second without a grind but maybe one time out of four. Figured I was flat-out incompetent, until I found out there were no synchronizers from first to second and the transmission was affectionately known as a "crash box." Put a '64 transmission in there and never had it so good.

I'll check that frame rail. Thanks.

Cerberus
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

You might look into doing a 300 swap. should fit right in. I believe a 300 is based on a 240 block.
Someone here should know for sure.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

240-300, basically the same engine, 300 has a longer stroke. The T-18? granny tranny I have has a 3rd gear issue too, goes in fine slips out when you back off of the gas and torque load reverses. I just refer to it as a "semi" automatic, lol.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Oops I steered you wrong on the VIN # location
Went out and looked on a 65 frame.The # on the drivers side looks to be a part #

The VIN # was on the top of the passenger side frame rail about 2-3 inches in front of the coil spring perch.

Sorry about that
cerberus1966Six

was "Transmission code" now Model Code

OK, I found it after some sanding and cleaning, and amazingly it matches the VIN on the door tag. So the engine is the original one, or a same-year-and-displacement replacement, while the front brakes, tranny, and axle have been swapped out.

How 'bout one last question: The model code on the door tag says 281, which doesn't match a code on FordTruk's decoder. There it's either 81A (standard cab) or 81B (custom cab). To which does 281 correspond? There are Custom Cab inserts on the door handles, but when I pulled them off, it looked as if the paint had faded differently under them than around the handle itself. Additionally this truck appears about as bare-bones as possible--one circular gauge in the dash (no bright trim), basic driveline and engine, no armrests, no passenger's visor, and the headliner's not perforated. The seats have a woven pattern stamped into (what's left of) the vinyl. On the other hand, aside from the Custom Cab door logos, it has lighter and the separate heat/temp controls under the dash for the heater, which I've read is for the deluxe version only. Knowledge won't change what I've got, but I am curious and enjoy the history side of restoration, too.

Cerberus
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Mine says 281 on it also. my truck was just a plain model.

Yours sounds a lot like what I have. Kind of a hybrid mix of parts.