Bronco two gas tank mounting in grandsons truck pics.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Bronco two gas tank mounting in grandsons truck pics.

Post by 64 f100 »

I posted wome pics in my album of the gas tank I mounted . I took out the rear cross member to starighten the frame, and thought I would have to leavbe it out, but worked good with it in. If I had left it out, I could have set the tank up another inch or maybe more. I've got the skid plate for the tank, and I'm debating whether I should try and mount it. However, I also have the reciever hitch that came off the truck, and I think I can reinstall it, so maybe I won't have to have the belly pan. Take a look, and let me know what you think?

Rich
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Where are you going to bring out the filler neck? What do you have planned for a gas flap? Looks great, clean install. What size, 'bout 18 gal?
Jim
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That's a pretty nice fit Rich, someone once told me (think it was JC) that bumpside gas filler doors are the same curvature as a Slick box. You could also maybe cut the "tunnel" for the tube from one of them for inside the box. I am sure you already have a plan but just a thought for you.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Later Ford flairsides had the gas tank on the rear, and ran the gas filler tube out to the fender where there was a hole cut for it. By using a flatened hose, like the late 70's used between the bed and the frame, I think I can do the same thing and mount the filler cap on the fender, as on the later trucks. Although I'm not ruling out just cutting a circular hole in the bed, and I've seen some nice looking covers on Ebay, that would look nice. However, I might copy some of Willy's ideas and make a flap on the board of wood with hidden brass hinges. I think I've got a takoff fender with the gas hole already cut in it, but don't remmember for sure. Will have to look. Hopefully, this was not just a Oh oh moment, and I just accidently fell into something that worked out well and not an oh sh!!t thing later. Have to take the tank back off, and dress everything up, and pull the pickup and sender out of the tank, and eliminate the electric pump, and clean out the tank. The Broco tank was in the middle to late 80's.

Rich
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

LOL, didn't know the truck was a flareside. Does make it kind of a no brainer, lol. I doubt from the looks of things you have an uh-oh there. That is one nice thing about Slick flaresides using the same box as fatfenders, they make about anything you can imagine for them with enough competition to keep the prices form being completely nuts.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Rich, that one sits lower due to the cross members than mine does, tho top of my tank is almost flush to the top to the frame. I used a filler hose that was flattened, like you said.
The bronco filler has a hose inside the big hose, for ventilation at the cap while you are filling, so I got a big piece of clear hose and ran it inside the ' hose to the tank. Looks like the setup you have will work fine to connect to the flareside fender filler cap to me, there might be some jimmy-jacking around to line things up right but that looks like a flew house on there anyway.
My tank was from a carbureted bronco, and i ended up running a return hose into it anyway as i am using throttle body fuel injection.

Looks like it all works good, do you have some kind of padding on the top of the tank to stop it from rattling against the frame?

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

There actually was some kind of padding stuck to the tank already JC. I will be adding some half inch heavy type fowm for final install though.

Rich