Suspension Work Done

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

YukonCor55

Suspension Work Done

Post by YukonCor55 »

Well I finally got the suspension finished on the 62. Between the spring work, new Gas shocks and steering stabilizer it's almost pleasant to drive! I also got my F-250 hood spears installed today. No matter how old and experienced I get, I hate drilling holes in good sheet metal! The end result was worth it though. Not bad for a $20 investment at a swap meet. I figure about anothe $10 grand and I'll have it just the way I want it!
Latest Pic is in the members photos. I still don't know how to link.
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
Comet

Post by Comet »

Haha, I would have given you my hood spears. In fact, I searched for a hood without them and got lucky to find one (my original hood had spears and the hood was toast).
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

I found plenty of F-100 spears but the F-250 ones were really tough. When I saw them I grabbed them. I got a set of '64 F-250 side emblems too so I had a chioce of which ones to install. In the end, I went for the proper '62 look. I really debated about installing them at all but the truck really needed something to break up all of that white paint! I'm glad I did it.
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
Phil

Post by Phil »

suspension is next for me
What are the steering stabilizers?
Sounds important :lol:
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Phil, Steering stabilizers are often found on straight axle 4x4s. Pretty much it's a shock absorber that has one end mounted to the axle & one end mounted to the crosslink. Universal kits are available pretty reasonable.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Phil

Post by Phil »

unecessary or just not used on a 2wd truck I assume
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

A stabilizer will help reduce bump steer, bout all it does. I had a 79 F150 4x4 that had one on it when I bought it, haven't run one since. They are a pretty big plus if you are running big tires on a 4x4. If the way your truck steers now doesn't bother you I wouldn't mess with it myself. But then I am also a Stang guy too and had a few Fox bodies and earlys, I am used to some bump steer, lol.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Phil

Post by Phil »

by the way, where is the least expensive place to get tie rod ends. They are pricey at NAPA
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

Heavyhauler It looks like this. This is from the parts truck.

64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I can't help you on tie rods, I haven't owned a straight axle truck that needed new ones.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

I'd agree that stabilizers are probably not necessary on the 2WD trucks with standard sized tires. However, I've always been a fan of steering stabilizers on the straight axle 4 x 4 trucks. They're a must if you're running oversized tires and they help even with stock tires. I'd have to say it made a big difference on my slick. The big Dana up front is a pretty standard setup and the universal fit kits are a "dime a dozen!" Mine's a Rancho with a black boot (I didn't want a big red boot showing underneath)
SMSgt USAF Retired