Glass runs from the pic & pull (as in cheap!)

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

Glass runs from the pic & pull (as in cheap!)

Post by Greg D »

Last year I pulled some glass run from a 93 F150 because they looked like they should fit in a Slick door. I installed one in the drivers door of the Uni yesterday. I actually thought I would have to use weatherstrip adhesive to get then to stay in place but they stay in fine just pushing them in. They give a slightly cleaner look than stock ones because they fit tighter against the window channel. They come as a full piece that runs all the way down in front across the top and down the back of the glass. I installed the lower rear into the clip built into the lower window channel and just pressed it in till I got to the division bar. I trimmed it so the outside "flaps" stopped at the bar and the center tucked up in. I was concerned that they may not fit the glass (too loose or too tight) but the fit is perfect. I'll take some pics and do a another "how to" as soon as I try them in a division bar and while i do the other door. You will still need a reproduction belt weatherstrip though (I haven't seen anything late model I could make work, yet). I just wanted some thing that didn't have the metal bead showing around my glass for a cleaner look.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Man, your a machine.

sweet find!
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I can't wait to see pics of this. Sounds like a cheap way of getting new door glass and rubber...
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

Great idea
I was going to go to an old glass supply house and by some white-backed felt. That is what was original to the door. Comes in 8 foot lengths and is not very expensive compared to the kit version
The divider bar is another problem all together! I have to consult with an old friend to find out if I can get the insert felt for the channel still, or if it comes with the steel divider as complete. (then attaches to the vent)
The belt strip or ledge felt is still available in 8 foot lengths but has no back clips and has to be riveted to the door, but is dirt cheap compared to the kit.
Suprising what is still available for old stuff from the glass suppliers.
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Shawn, don't buy the glass from the F150, it won't fit. I have a junk door here that I am going to pull the division bar out of so I can drill out the rivets and see if the division bar section of this stuff will work there soon. Sorry to drag you guys along but I don't want to do a "how to" til I am sure exactly what all will work. This of course will not work for a restoration. I discovered the possibility of this when I was looking at a F150 for a possible frame swap into my 66 short in December of 05. Part of the glass run was loose from the door on that truck. I had been working on a new door to put on the 66 that I had stripped apart and looked at the glass run and thought, Hmmmm? So I snatched them and threw them in a box (I worked there and the boss said OK). I was working on the Uni's driver side door latch yesterday and thought, "heck might as well try it now while I have it this far apart".

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I will hold and see. I do need all new door and window rubbers, felt and glass but do not have the money yet and will not have it for about 3 more months.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Top and rear of the glass works fine. All I mean is I don't know about the division bar yet. If nothing else works, we still have repop for the division bar etc.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,