Oilpreassurelamp flasches

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chiquita

Oilpreassurelamp flasches

Post by chiquita »

My oilpressurelamp flashes when I turn left. Wrong oilpan?
Last edited by chiquita on June 22, 2007, 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Real men dont eat suschi.
-66 F250 Twin I-Beam 390/ 3 on a tree.
But miss my -63 Country Sedan.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

When you turn left aroun?
You my be low on oil, the oil pump pickup tube may be clogged, or you could have a bad sending unit.

Flashes when you use the turn signal to indicate a left turn?
You have an electrical problem, possibly a bad ground, possibly a problem in the turn signal switch.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

banjopicker66 wrote:When you turn left aroun?
You my be low on oil, the oil pump pickup tube may be clogged, or you could have a bad sending unit.

Thought that to. But have changed sending unit, cleaned the pickup and there is a little bit to much oil at the moment. "and not in combination with the flashers.
Last edited by chiquita on June 22, 2007, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I'd try mounting a cheap direct-type oil gauge to it then, and see what your oil pressure really is.
If your main bearings are really worn, or the oil pump is weak, it can make just enough pressure to keep the light off MOST of the time...until you slosh the oil in the pan good enough, then the pressure dips a little lower & the light comes on.

If a direct gauge shows plenty of pressure, then it sounds like an electrical gremlin.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Slick Fan wrote:I'd try mounting a cheap direct-type oil gauge to it then, and see what your oil pressure really is.
If your main bearings are really worn, or the oil pump is weak, it can make just enough pressure to keep the light off MOST of the time...until you slosh the oil in the pan good enough, then the pressure dips a little lower & the light comes on.

If a direct gauge shows plenty of pressure, then it sounds like an electrical gremlin.

+1. Easy job
Someday I'll get another slick :(
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Slick Fan wrote:I'd try mounting a cheap direct-type oil gauge to it then, and see what your oil pressure really is.

The original gauge shows pressure but I dont know how fast it reacts.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

chiquita wrote:

The original gauge shows pressure but I dont know how fast it reacts.

They don't usually react very fast, for some reason. What does your gauge read?
If it's around 20 or so, a left turn could slosh the oil away from the pickup long enough to kick off the sender for the light. The light senders react pretty quickly.

If your gauge reads a minimum of 40 or more all the time, your pressure shouldn't be doing it...then I'd look for a wiring issue.
Last edited by Slick Fan on June 22, 2007, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

If oil is sloshing away from the pickup in a left turn you don't have enough oil. Or the pickup has been bent towards the left side of the pan. It should be centered with 1/4" clearance to the bottom of the pan.

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

If a direct gauge shows plenty of pressure, then it sounds like an electrical gremlin.[/quote] The original gauge shows pressure but I dont know how fast it reacts.[/quote]
They don't usually react very fast, for some reason. What does your gauge read?
If it's around 20 or so, a left turn could slosh the oil away from the pickup long enough to kick off the sender for the light. The light senders react pretty quickly.

If your gauge reads a minimum of 40 or more all the time, your pressure shouldn't be doing it...then I'd look for a wiring issue.[/quote]

My gauge shows around 25..But have been thinking..Is there different pickups for differant cars? I put in one more litre oil "dont know in US" . I believe that the engine has been changed but that the oilpan is from the old engine. But anyway, now the lamp dont flash. But now there is around 7 litres of oil in it, and if I look at the oilstick its to much. But the engine sounds nice and runs real good.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

From what your describing It might be worth your while to pull the pan & check your strainer height in relation to the oil pan. Might look for a crack in the tube also.

I was just wondering what is your oil pressure at idle with the engine warm?
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

ford4jack wrote:From what your describing It might be worth your while to pull the pan & check your strainer height in relation to the oil pan. Might look for a crack in the tube also.

I was just wondering what is your oil pressure at idle with the engine warm?

It shows around 25 with warm engine but the gauge dont move "so much"at all .Just go down to zero when I turn the engine off. Maybe dont work so good. The engine sounds good and goes real nice. My son who has a new driverslicence and a little "sportscar" Audi 2,3 coupe is really sad. That an old truck can drive cirkles around his sporty one at race. Think I have to buy him a Slick when he can pay his own gas.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Myself I don't trust old gauges or pressure lights that much.

I would hook up a new mechanical gauge that reads in at least 10 lb increments and check the pressure at low and high rpm cold.
Then do the same test with the engine warm. That way you know where you stand on your pressure.

Sounds like you have around 7.4 quarts in the engine.

What size engine do you have in your slick?
Phil

Post by Phil »

How far is the pickup off the bottom of the pan?
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Thought I would try a translator. Please let me know if it works.

Basically asking if the oil is staying up in the motor and not draining back fast enough.

I did notice you have a 390.

Om ditt pressa är ok, men du som är stilla, måste att överfylla motorn som dig, styrkan ser, om oljan inte tömmer tillbaka till panorera, fastar nog.
Du kunde handtag den olje- pinnen på shutoffen därefter, efter 10 har noterat för att se, om det finns en stor skillnad.
Bra lycka
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

ford4jack wrote:Thought I would try a translator. Please let me know if it works.

Basically asking if the oil is staying up in the motor and not draining back fast enough.

I did notice you have a 390.

Om ditt pressa är ok, men du som är stilla, måste att överfylla motorn som dig, styrkan ser, om oljan inte tömmer tillbaka till panorera, fastar nog.
Du kunde handtag den olje- pinnen på shutoffen därefter, efter 10 har noterat för att se, om det finns en stor skillnad.
Bra lycka
lol.. well.. about the translating I almost fell off the chair. It sounds like when a Greek tries to speak swedish.. but though..It was understanable probably couse I´ve just opened some cold beers..lol.. But do you mean that the engine is dirty inside so that the oil turns back in the pan too slow?
390 is correct.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Heavyhauler wrote:How far is the pickup off the bottom of the pan?
That I dont know couse when I hade the pan off for cleaning the pick-up I didnt know about that where were different pick-ups and didnt check that up. Just cleaned it up and put it back on.
Phil

Post by Phil »

It probably won't entirely matter with 7+ US quarts in it.
Its a 5 qt spec on a 390 I think.

The pickup should be 3/8" or so off teh bottom.
next time its off borrow some of your kids playdough and make a small 3/4" tall blob in the pan. Press it in place and see what the clearance/playdough thickness is.

If you have a high volume aftermarket pump it can push all the oil up top too.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Just ran that message back thru the translator. Looks Greek to me also.
Ok so much for translators. I always wondered if they would translate the way I write.
Maybe a few beers on this end would help as well.

Yep wondering if the oil was not returning fast enough.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

ford4jack wrote:Just ran that message back thru the translator. Looks Greek to me also.
Ok so much for translators. I always wondered if they would translate the way I write.
Maybe a few beers on this end would help as well.

Yep wondering if the oil was not returning fast enough.

But suppose my english is´nt 100% correct always.

Shall check that when i´m sober... so not this evening.. guess it ends at the local bar..