Sod

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blackwaterforge

Sod

Post by Blackwaterforge »

Went and got two pallets of sod Saturday (Honey-do project)
Sod weighs 2-3000 lbs per pallet.
Truck handled it very well!
The dual piston front brakes from a 73 F-350 really stop well.
The 300 6 cylinder chugged along about 60mph with no problem.
The 6 cylinder really like the 4-speed and the 410 gears.

If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
OldDawg

Re: Sod

Post by OldDawg »

Not only do we love to drive em, but when we actually put em to work, they feel even more special, don't they?

That truck's a beauty!! Way to go..
1966 Custom Cab Longbed (Shep)
352, 4 spd, PS

I did my own version of the Slick 60's Tee-Shirt design here:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/olddawg ... -tee-shirt
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

When I saw the picture of the sod, I couldn't help but think of this post:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=26427
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

You may not believe this, but my Dads 66 used to be used to haul recycled paper, he would pull a 23 foot trailer with around 20-30 BAILS of crushed boxs.. Those things are HEAVY.. don't even ask what they weigh if it rained on them a few hours...We had grocery stores all over central Iowa that we hauled from.. to a recyclers in Des Moines. You can't even imagine the things that can be done with a slick.. Did I mention the time we left at the crack of dawn to pull a 40 foot MOBILE HOME to our camp site lot ! Dad loaded the box with gravel to keep weight in the truck, and people that drove along with us still said occasionally the front wheels would show some light under them..

Still got that truck, has 103,000 miles on it... HARD miles...

First thing I drove as well :)
huskilvr

Post by huskilvr »

That's great! What hitch do you have on it? Does anyone know what these are rated to pull?
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

huskilvr wrote:That's great! What hitch do you have on it? Does anyone know what these are rated to pull?
Rated to pull? Real pluggers don't read manuals. Load it till the springs turn backwards and your riding on the rubber stops. These are real Ford trucks made when trucks were for working. :burp: Although the concept of 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton does have some meaning, I've never heard of an actual rating . Whatever you could hook to it and untrac is most likely the way these were used. The early four speeds had a gear ratio low enough in first to pull a house off the foundation, if you could get the traction. Braking was the real problem.
Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I have a Reese class 5 receiver hitch.
The operators manual list the GVW as 4800-7500 lbs for a F-250 depending on the springs and tires.
I haven't seen a GCVW rating listed.
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
huskilvr

Post by huskilvr »

Yeah my four speed 66 has the granny gear that's crazy low. I never use it. I was curious cause I have a pop up camper that I pull with an SUV and I had to learn all the towing stuff, and how not to burn out the tranny etc etc...
My truck has a hitch ball on the bumper that I've never used. Thinking about using it to rent tools, like towable stump grinders and log splitters.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

huskilvr,
I'd want to take a good look at your bumper and the hitch first. Many bumpers are tough, some are junk.

A solid install of a reese-style hitch would be a no-brainer and as long as your truck bumper brakes are up to it, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to tow rental tools such as towable stump grinders and log splitters.

Realize too, that most states have some law dictating when trailer brakes are required. Here in MI, I believe the law is if the trailer & trailer cargo exceed 3000-lbs, then at least one trailer axle must have brakes on it. I highly doubt that most single-axle stuff like stump grinders, splitters are that heavy so they wouldn't have brakes nor need them.

BarnieTrk