Soda blast vs Chem dip?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Buschman_66

Soda blast vs Chem dip?

Post by Buschman_66 »

I would like to get everyones opinion on doing a Chemical dip of the whole truck or just get the soda blast and go from there.
Max
United States of America

Re: Soda blast vs Chem dip?

Post by Max »

I think most here would love to have the resources and cash to dip a truck. I know I would. I've heard good and bad about the soda blasting and that you really need to neutralize the soda film it leaves or you could have paint adhesion problems down the road. I'd make sure to ask them about that of you choose that route.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Check this thread for some links to soda blasting issues.....dipping has it's own issues, another topic for another day....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20726
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Buschman_66

Post by Buschman_66 »

See that was my fear. the dip will take EVERYTHING off from EVERYWHERE even the places i cant get to... that link kinda confirms what i was thinking. And i was afraid of the soda due to the mess and clean up(getting it off before paint).

thanks for the comments..more opinions are welcome
JojoDVM
United States of America

Post by JojoDVM »

Ive done a lot of reading lately on the same subject...me and a DA sander are about to get real chummy
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

I would say if your just wanting to strip the outside down to bare metal good old paint stripper still works . Thats what I plan to use on my uni when I get to that point .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
JojoDVM
United States of America

Post by JojoDVM »

just make sure you rinse that stripper off reaaaaaaally well...if it comes seeping out of any seams or cracks or crevices it will do a number on your paint
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I've had great luck soda blasting...just make sure you rinse off with water and neutralize quickly to stop rust flashing before paint. I have loved the almost perfect surface that it leaves after blasting...
Phil
Buschman_66

Post by Buschman_66 »

Great thanks for the Info!
bear

Post by bear »

There is a third option. I had mine put in a large powder coating oven and had the paint baked off. I used http://www.powdercoatingunlimited.com/ in Bloomington, Illinois. That was 10 years ago, but it also burns out all the rust. A pin hole turned into the size of a quarter, but it was easier to patch that way. This is what came back from PCU
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

bear wrote:There is a third option. I had mine put in a large powder coating oven and had the paint baked off. I used http://www.powdercoatingunlimited.com/ in Bloomington, Illinois. That was 10 years ago, but it also burns out all the rust. A pin hole turned into the size of a quarter, but it was easier to patch that way. This is what came back from PCU
Any warpage due to the high heat? I never thought about this option before. For sure you would have to be rubber free or it would be rubber free after. I am now thinking about doing my bed for the CC this way. What happens to body filler?
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I would like to possibly have my bed done that way too...sounds way less messy!
Phil
bear

Post by bear »

There is no warpage with the oven melting because they cool the metal down over a period of several days. That is the way we cool down stills in the chemical plant I work in, and they run 400*F regularly. It cost me around $600.00 if I remember right. They charge by oven time. Body filler runs out, and yes if you don't remove rubber it will be gone. This process was recommended to me by Greg at GSCustoms.com He does all the hotrods he builds this way. One was the Goodguys Studebaker he built. Here is a link http://www.gscustoms.com/1950-studebaker.html
mercman64
United States of America

Post by mercman64 »

I dipped my uni tailgate, cleaned in out and had the inside coated, lots of trapped areas. I had everything else blasted by a professional stripping company. They used a #70 garnet material that looks like yellow sand. I sent the rotisserie with the truck for blasting, rolled it right in the blast booth, took pictures. They did a fantastic job, these old trucks have some rather thick metal compared to modern cars. They painted it with DuPont self etching primer and then it was off to the painters....came out wonderful!"......good luck.
1964 Mercury Monterey Convertible
1962 F100 unibody LWB BBW "Show Truck"
1966 F100 short box "daily driver"
1963 F100 unibody "project truck"
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Bear: Did they do anything to the truck/finish to make it work. I notice they say they use: High-Temp Thermal Extraction/Pyrolytic Oven Cleaning.
I'll have to ask my powder coating guy and see what he thinks.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Buschman_66

Post by Buschman_66 »

Very interesting options. I like all the possible routes. I'm kinda afraid of doing the total removal because of the exposure of metal that i cant get to..to paint and seal up before rust gets to it. Is that a fear of other people too..like the double layer metal the insides cant be painted so i would assume it would rust eventually.