firewall pad

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

firewall pad

Post by dotcentral »

I've been working on my floors this week and have got to looking at the firewall pad and see it looks pretty rough. Also looks like I need to undo the gas pedal linkage, fuse box, probably a few other things, then pry those little fasteners out to remove it. Does the heater need to come out also?

What suprises might be in store for me back behind that pad? It looks like it will probably fall apart when I start to remove it. Also looks like there was some seam sealer or something smeared behind it. Is this going to be a big PITA or does this usually go pretty smooth? How well do the replacements fit? This is a twin I-beam truck.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You have to remove a lot of stuff to get the pad out. The one I got for my 64 fit like a glove. You may even have to take the column out, but don't remmember. Possibly the peddle bracket assembly also. Heater assembly has to come out. You will also have to remove the fuse block and possibly the electricasl plug ins on the firewall. Those buttons that hold the pad in go clear thru the firewall, and are easiest to drive back into the firewall from the outside, but plan on replacing some of those. Stamped tin of some kind, and are a friction design. You can use plastic to go back in, or I may have some extra used ones. You may also be able to get new ones. I bought two firewall pads off evilbay, but of unknown source. Pads normally run around 150 each. I picked these up for about half of that. Hope I didn't get burned. bought these for future use on trucks I'm not that far on.

Rich
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Thanks for the reply. It looked to me like it would be pretty involved. Guess I'll wait until I repaint the interior and do it all at once.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

When I bought my truck, the previous owner had purchased one of the ABS firewall pads with the insulation. It was one of things I probably would not have bought but now I am so glad I have it. You have to remove most of the firewall mounted accessories but it is worth it for the insulation value and the improved looks. I did not have to remove the steering column.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

Hey Dot

I bought mine from LMC and it is one of the few things that I was happy with from there. Yes, the old one will come out in pieces and it normally pretty rotten. All the goodies in the cab do have to come out but the effort is worth it. Plastic clips are used to install, got mine at NAPA.
Mark