Independent front suspension

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Voodoo66

Independent front suspension

Post by Voodoo66 »

I'm looking at pulling the front axle on my '64, in place for a independent front suspension. Any of you guys/gals that have done this swap have any suggestions on which set up to buy? I like the No Limit setup but also considering the Fatman Fabrications setup. Any suggestions? Thanks!
rickairmedic

Re: Independent front suspension

Post by rickairmedic »

Voodoo around here the most popular options are the Dakota kit from Steve at Industrial Chassis or the 2003 and up Crown victoria front clip.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

x2 on the dakota.Drives like its on rails

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
jecsd1

Post by jecsd1 »

x3 for the Dakota. Super solid install. The front 1/3 of my frame could withstand a bomb blast now :)
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Voodoo

I have a Mustang II kit from TCI and am happy with it, but agree with the others, Dakota and Crown Vic are MUCH more popular around here...probably better for truck applications as well. Knowing what I know now (and considering I scrapped a PERFECT CV setup), I would have used it and saved lots of cash. Whatever you choose, move the axle centerline forward 1/12".

Good luck.
Voodoo66

Post by Voodoo66 »

Only thing I'm worried about with the Dakota kit is that I will be running a 4.6 and worried about the A/C compressor and Power Steering pump, with how low they hang on the engine.
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Well shoot if you are running a 4.6 then the 03 and later crown vic is a natural choice ( the motor will bolt right in ) :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I have a Camaro subframe in mine with a 4.6 DOHC engine. The a/c and p/s isn't a problem at all and I would assume that the crossmembers would be located pretty close to the same place. I like the a/c & p/s down low because they aren't hardly seen.
The only conflict that I had was the p/s box. The pump was real close to the box but I guess that the Dakota has rack & pinion so that shouldn't be a concern.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
63BIGWINDOW

Post by 63BIGWINDOW »

We've used Brents(fatman) and Robs(no limit), and had great results with both.My 63 shop truck has a camaro clip with a 460 and has well over a 100k and 2 decades with no concerns ever. Do your research though there are down falls with all your options, the crown vic works great unless you want it loooww, and you can live with the wide track width, done a couple of these and they are great for a small budget. Havent heard alot about the dakota setup, only a few concerns about the bolt pattern is all , looks like a similar price range to most MII based kits.. My personal favorite is the NoLimit wide ride, its way beefier than a standard MII type setup and it isn't for a tight budget build but worth it in a performance build...JUST REMEMBER EVERYONE IS FULL OF OPINIONS so do your research and get the best for you , your budget and abilities.
63 big window shop truck
93 2wd lightning/bronco-wifes driver
Total Gearhead

Post by Total Gearhead »

3rd times a charm? Started with the Aerostar... not low enough. Went to the MII. got it low enough but bump steer. Now I'm going with a Trans Am clip. It will sit right and handle the way I want it to. I'm building a Pro Touring truck. I want to be able to drive the wheels off of it. Now that I have a Firebird rear end in it I'm past the keeping it all Ford stage of my life. Still running the 3rd motor as well. Started with a 69 302. went to a 74 460 now I have a 91 5.8 FI motor in it. Had a 4.6 but never did anything with it. Kind of happy with the direction I'm going now.
randyr

Post by randyr »

63BIGWINDOW wrote: Havent heard alot about the dakota setup, only a few concerns about the bolt pattern is all , looks like a similar price range to most MII based kits.. .JUST REMEMBER EVERYONE IS FULL OF OPINIONS so do your research and get the best for you , your budget and abilities.
I haven't seen one in person, but from all I've read and heard, the Dakota kit seems to be extremely well designed with a lot of attention to detail & strength. As for the bolt pattern, this kit seems to be one of the easiest to remedy. If you want the 5x4.5 Ford car pattern, just use the stock Dakota components. If you want to match the original 5x5.5 pattern, just get a set of rotors from the correct full size Dodge, which shared that same pattern with Fords.