To powder coat or not to powder coat... That is the question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TroyPilcher
United States of America

To powder coat or not to powder coat... That is the question

Post by TroyPilcher »

I recently had delivered my 1965 F 100 from Georgia. I don't know where to start. I think because moneys is tight and because the tires were dry rotted I should put new tires on the Innie wheels that I got from the same seller. The rims need cleaning and painting. the question is should I drop the cash for powder coating them or just have them sand blasted and pai Ted to match the color I plan on painting the bottom side of the truck..( blue) ( white top) is it worth it? Cuz now I think I should get things mech sound with the money I have for it now...$2000. After tax returns I'll body work and paint. Any advise?
64 f100

Re: To powder coat or not to powder coat... That is the ques

Post by 64 f100 »

Ful inspection of what has to be done, and what doesn't would be my first thought. Make a list of the most serious problems, such as the tires, brakes, cab metal rot etc. . Then decide what is most important to you. Essentially, you have to decide what your final outcome is going to be. Daily driver, show truck, etc. . Most important is substructure of all body parts. Rust and rot that you can't see without some serious crawling, poking and proding. No sence in painting the outside when it's rotting underneath. Second is mechanical condition, the easiest part to fix most of the time. I am a fan of drivng something to see what it's problems are before you start, so you know what is going on with it mechanicaly. 2,000 doesn't get you very far o a restoration, but can make a decent drivable truck. A lot depends on what you can do yourself, what tools you have and what abilities you have or willing to learn. Your question is not an easy one, as you only asked about the wheels. and what to do about those. You know you will need tires, so there goes a few hundred. You may be able to pick up a set of used tires and wheels in good condition, for a little less and save money, but it sounds like you have made up your mind on what wheels you want. AS to powder coat over paint, that is a tricky question also. I vote powdercaot for the best but it's not all that cheap. Even painting and blasting isn't cheap. IN addition painting can be a problematical if it dosn't harden up right. Imagine a set of tires glued to wheels and trying to get those off at some poit in the future. A lot depends on cost , you need priceing to start with. I noticed and add the other day for powdercoating wheels. It seems it was something like 250 a set. Your talking 1/3 of your budget on tires and wheels. What else do you need, and are you trying to restore it while driving the truck? To give you the best advice , we need more input on what you have and where your going, and what the final end is. Restoration, ratrod, restorod , etc. Do you have a plan, and what is it?

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

As he said painting can be problematic. And here is something to be aware of. Will the wheels you have with tires hold air? When I found my truck two wheels wouldn't-there was too much rust on the inside (tireside) of the rim and I had to trash them, it wasn't the tire.
My truck had been sitting a long time.
I vote for the powdercoating but I don't seem to have to pay as much for it as some do?
Sandblasting is important I think at any rate for the insides of the rims.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

If it's reasonable in your area, I would go with the powder coating. My guy charges $35 per wheel to sandblast and powder coat (little more if he has to order a specific color). I bought the Wimbledon White powder (or as close as I could get) and he only charged me $25 per wheel.
Personally I think it's a smoking deal, considering the time and effort in blasting the wheels and the fact that it takes a couple of cans of primer and a couple cans of paint to do each wheel
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
TroyPilcher
United States of America

Post by TroyPilcher »

the truck has a leaking freeze plug. must figure that out first. I have decided to wait on painting the truck and body work till tax returns are in.... :lol: As for the 2,000 I knew it was a start. I was hoping it would be a decent driver off the flatbed but I was dissapointed. Clutch needs attention and I may just pull the engine and get to it. All the tires are dry rotted pieces of junk. I had seller add 5 rims (innies) and I will use bottle caps over them. I want a driver but a restored good looking driver that I can still use as a side job truck, run to the lumber store, move to a bigger house....etc. I plan on spending 5 grand on top of the 1,800 the truck cost me. A guy who got kicked off here sold it to me. His name is Peter from Monroe GA. But I may as well powder coat and new rubber to get things started.
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

SOMEONE GOT KICKED OFF THIS SITE? :shock: SHOCKING!

:peepwall:

scared.gif
Haus

Post by Haus »

I like the clean look of powder coating. I have a set of 1992 van wheels that I found at a junk yard. The clear coat was cracking so I just had them media blasted and powder coated gun metal grey. This is fresh on my mind because I just picked up another 1966 with some cragers. One has a little rust. I should be able to clean them up, but if not, off comes the chrome and out comes the gun metal grey powder coat again :)

Be careful, it can get addictive. Everything on the underside of my truck is powder coated. Frame, axel, spindels, a arms, etc...
All my tools are hammers except screwdrivers, those are chisels.

1966 F-100 2WD
351 Cleveland **no its not a 351M**
C4 trans
3.50 rear end