262 valve guide seals

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rick64

262 valve guide seals

Post by rick64 »

Can I change the valve guide seals without removing the head? normaly I would pull the head and take in and have it done. with a valve grind and check for cracks, and so on. But I am living life on a strict budget right now. I do all my own wrenching. But havent done a head on these mototrs before.

So here it is. A 1964 262 inline 6. totally stock. With ash build up on spark plugs for cylinders 4 and 6. Can I do the seals with out pulling the head?

Help...
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 262 valve guide seals

Post by Toyz »

No difference from other OHV umbrella designs, IMO.
Quick answer is yes, if all is well with engine condition. Book procedure gives multiple steps regarding piston positioning, my cheat method is to back off the affected rockers to allow the valves to remain seated, take a tool such as a Snap-on cylinder pressure tester, compression or leak-down, (two piece quick-connect type), screw the non-gauge portion into a plug hole in normal manner, attach a charged air hose with female quick-connect to the male quick-connect on the compression tester hose. If you hear air movement after a few seconds, oops, other problems exist. If no noticable air hissing after the initial cylinder fill, (beware, my shortcut will allow the affected piston to quickly move to BDC, if not already at either TDC or BDC), then you are in business. Remove the keepers, springs etc., then the seals, and replace with new while maintaining the air pressure to keep the valves in position. You can then move to the next cylinder of concern, and repeat procedure.
The only disclaimer is, that, unless you are extremely fortunate; if you fail to notice air flow indicating an unsealed valve, and proceed, You WILL be removing the head to retrieve the dropped valve.

Kinda long winded, but, you asked!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

The other way to do it is to pull the spark plug and take some rope and shove it into the cylinder ( with the rockers for that cylinder loose so the valves dont move ) then bring the piston up by turning the motor till it stops turning . The motor shouldnt be able to go past TDC with the rope in the ccylinder . Once the piston is up procede with pulling the keepers springs and seals for that cylinder and replace . Repeat for each cylinder until you are done then button everything back up . Alot of shade tree mechanics have some rope laying around not many have a snap on compression test set :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

OR you can get a can of triple expanding aerosol foam and a can of B12 and............... :P
The worrisome part to me would be knowing you had enough rope :twisted: , you pretty well know if you have enough air!
The guy without the compression tester may not have a spring compressor lying around, either. 'Course we know a big pair of channel-locks and a pair of needle nose pliers will work :roll:
Around my area, there's two types of manly footwear; white rubber boots and cowboy boots. If you tell the wearer of either to get some rope, neither is apt to show up with clothesline rope :lol:

All kidding aside, the rope would probably work well on a 262; I'm not sure I would chance it on some combustion chamber designs.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rick64

Post by rick64 »

Thank you for all the info. it was a great help. I will get everything together and take care of the problem. I will post when I have completed the repair.

Thanks

Rick