Installing a C6

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bmcgc
United States of America

Installing a C6

Post by bmcgc »

My plan is to keep the 3 speed and convert to power steering.

But I ran across a good deal on a C6.

Questions:

I know I can reuse the tranny mount, are the driveshafts different length? If so, which one is different? (longbed F100)

Other than the proper automatic shift steering column and the tranny, what else do I need?

How difficult is it to acquire all the needed parts? Im not likely to find a truck in the boneyard with a C6 that hasnt been picked clean.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
slickmainer
United States of America

Re: Installing a C6

Post by slickmainer »

dont know, the PO did my 3ps column to c4
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Lokar makes a great floor shift and linkage that looks and works great on a C6 application
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

No floor shifting for me unless its a 4 speed in a F250 or a Mazda 5 speed in my F100.

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

bmcgc wrote:No floor shifting for me unless its a 4 speed in a F250 or a Mazda 5 speed in my F100.
One of the potential challenges is verifying or obtaining the correct trans lever for a column shift unless you are lucky enough to obtain a C6 which came out of a column shift vehicle. There's quite a bit of parts interchangeability between applications, but determining what works is kind of rough these days, and a considerable amount of misinformation exists. Some say the removable high floor plate is required; I've seen several applications where this was not required.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Dave Rogers

Post by Dave Rogers »

Just depends on whether the c6 is long or short shaft and length of the 3 speed. If mine had a 3 speed I'd keep it but I had long c6, changed to short cruisomatic fixing to go with a short c6 after It's rebuilt. I have the shafts for any application right now but need to hang on to em til olyeller is back running
DAVE
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the factory auto trans was not the c-6 but the cruiseomatic with the removable bell. people will call them c6 but that is not what they are.

notice the com has room for the flat floor where the c6 is higher

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:the factory auto trans was not the c-6 but the cruiseomatic with the removable bell. people will call them c6 but that is not what they are.

notice the com has room for the flat floor where the c6 is higher

Again, interestingly, can anyone identify the type and application for the trans listed as "C4/C6 typical?
Brian, i believe the floor clearance issue or non-issue is dependent on the trans source. As you stated, the C6 was not available in slicks. The original bumpside C6's WILL fit the low floor slicks, most of the more desirable (and more common) later C6's MIGHT have clearance issues. If the early trans don't fit, it might be time to take a close look at ALL rubber insulators and the associated mounts. The only problems I have personally seen in mounting the early transmissions are either the result of various mount problems, or replacements in vehicles not originally equipped with 352's.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

I looked around at cruise-o-matics. They are not as common as the C6 so they are harder to find and cost more.

The column is not hard to come by, but the shift and kickdown linkage might be.

Will those pieces off a full size car work, or must they be truck specific parts?

Im not unhappy with my 3 speed and I have a spare tranny off my parts truck. I also have everything I need to do my 3 speed column shift power steering conversion. I just need to do it.

When I think about these projects, Im learning about our trucks, I may never put in an at, but I like to lean whats involved.

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

C-O-M is an outdated trans. C6 is later, (but far from current), technology made to handle more power. The selector levers at the trans case will work off a column shift passenger car as will same-era downshift linkage. You will also need the kick-down bellcrank on the carburetor shaft, again the passenger car applications will interchange. Some linkage parts will also interchange but I can't readily find the info. As I stated earlier, there's a lot of mis-leading info available.
Personally, if I were were happy with the current set-up, I would not make the change, especially with a readily available spare. The hassle of putting in a cooler, or purchasing an A/T radiator, running coolant lines, chasing the inevitable small items, and making everything look and work to expectations, is effort and money I would choose to spend on other improvements.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

I hear you Paul

Im only considering the C6 because I have an FE.

Lucky for me the PO installed a new radiator with the transmission cooler.

I like to collect parts for a "future project".

I have a line on a 78 F100 302/at/ps/pdb/ac for free. The body is trash, but everything I want is good.

Im thinking about transplanting the 78 into a 65/66 for the misses.

She wants a 55-57 T-Bird but she will consider a truck if I sell it the right way.

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Dave Rogers

Post by Dave Rogers »

The cruiseomatic was a lot tighter fit but will cost way too much to rebuild. I'm going back to a c6 because it is stronger and can rebuild cheaper.
DAVE