King pin grease caps

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jefflovesf250s

King pin grease caps

Post by jefflovesf250s »

All: While re-doing the IFS on my '66 F250, I find that the grease caps on the bottom of the King pin spindle housing are damaged and 1 was cross threaded. The cap is p/n C5TZ-3B167-A (and I have replacements) but I need to repair the threads in the spindle housing into which these caps are threaded.
Can anyone quote me the thread size of the caps and the threaded portion of the king pin housing they go into? Thx. Jeff
William-in-St George

Re: King pin grease caps

Post by William-in-St George »

I'd take the new caps and visit a local machine shop. They will be able to tell the size and thread based on the new caps. And likely recommend ways to repair the damaged threads in the spindle. If you replace the King pins and I Beam pivots you will need to take those parts to a machine shop with a press and they can repair the threads in the spindle then. If you are just trying to get the caps back on try a thread restoring file and again use the new caps to determine the thread. You can buy one of these files or maybe borrow one from a machine shop or parts place. These are a little used tool but handy if you need one. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
61blacklowrider
United States of America

Re: King pin grease caps

Post by 61blacklowrider »

Go to a good tool supply store and obtain a thread gauge, a thread restoration file and a thread chasing die & put them to work. It won't cost a fortune . If it works, you're in good shape. If not, you wont be out that much and you will then have a couple of useful tools that can be used in the future. Then take it to a machine shop. Good Luck
Bob :2cents: