town names

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LM14
United States of America

Re: town names

Post by LM14 »

Bunch Iowa is just up the road from us. A tornado would do $250,000 in property development.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Several towns on the Canadian prairies were named in alphabetical order according to where they were located on the rail line. Here's an excerpt from an article about it:

The alphabetical order, Jack Ives has determined, starts just west of Portage la Prairie. "It begins with the siding known as Arona," he says, "and continues with Bloom, Caye, Deer, Exira, Firdale, Gregg, Harte, Ingelow, Justice, Knox, Levine, Myra, Norman, Oakner, Pope, Quadra, Rea and Stenberg. The next two letters are reversed, so Uno comes before Treat, while Victor concludes the sequence in Manitoba.

"Welby is the first Saskatchewan community in the series, with Yarbo and Zeneta ending the first round. The rotation begins again with Atwater, Bangor and Cana, then skips to Fenwood, Goodeve, Hubbard, Ituna, Jasmin, Kelliher and Leross, then skips again to Punnichy, Quinton, Raymore, Semans, Tate, Undora, Venn, Watrous, Xena, Young and Zelma.

"The alphabetic ramble continues across Saskatchewan with Allan, Bradwell, Clavet, Duro, Eaton, Farley, Grandora and Hawoods, then Juniata, Kinley, Leney, Mead, Neola, Oban and Palo, then Reford, Scott, Tako, Unity, Vera and Winter, and Yonker and Zumbra.

"Artland is the last alphabetic town in Saskatchewan, with Chauvin, Dunn and Edgerton across the Alberta border. But the namer of names' determination begins to flag here. Heath, Greenshields and Fabyan appear in reverse order, then Irma, Jarrow, and Kinsella, and Ryley, Tofield and Uncas farther west. But no other names seem to fit until Ardrossan, Bremner, Clover Bar and Dunvegan turn up in the Edmonton area.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazi ... o_know.asp
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Toyz wrote:Then there's our southerly neighbor, Lake Jackson, Texas, with street names such as Any Way, and This Way, which intersects That Way. I have found His Way, but have yet to locate Wrong Way!
Paul

Well if we are using street names here down in Good old downtown Shelbyville,Ky. Theres Whodathunkit Rd.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Along these lines, I've been in many strange places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.
I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.
I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.
I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.
I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.
I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.
Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.
One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!
I may have been in Continent, and I don't remember what country I was in. It's an age thing.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I live close to that town y'all made fun of. Top Gear drove through once and did a bit on it:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/lzirm6TwcXA[/youtube]
Several years ago, the wife and I took a driving vacation sort of down south. We targeted our travels by visiting places with 'colorful' names. Our personal favorite: Dog Walk, KY.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
White97

Post by White97 »

Not far from where I'm keeping the truck in Plum Borough, PA is a small town called Slickville. Once mine is back on the road I plan on getting a picture of it under the sign welcoming you to Slickville....
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Moorehead City, NC
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
Broncotom
United States of America

Post by Broncotom »

I had several relatives that lived in and around Wewoka, my dads best friends mom and dad ran the little gas station there in town back in the 40's 50's and 60's. I think it was called Collins General Store or something like that. They all actually lived in a town by the name of Bearden.
65 F100 Short and Wide
77 Bronco
8N
dbrady

Post by dbrady »

66fordtrucknut wrote:The Eastern shore is the same way, we don't like to associate with the rest of the State, I wish they would tear down the Bay Bridge and leave us alone.
Great point. Almost went to college on your side of the bridge. To be fair Western part of state is not so bad. Really it's the area within 25 miles of DC, wish they'd put a large fence around the whole area and change it to being part of DC.
Darren

2010 F150
1967 Mustang Coupe
1966 F100