Changing angle of 64 f100 steering box

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

machinegunmike
Belgium

Changing angle of 64 f100 steering box

Post by machinegunmike »

Hello ford fanatics, I'm a big guy and I'm thinking of making more room for my gut to fit behind the steering wheel, I've been looking at the thought of taking out the spacer between the steering column and the dash and then changing the angle of the steering box that sits within the frame by drilling new holes in the frame. I was wondering if any one has ever attempted this? Thank you for your reply,... Yes it's a 64 f100 all original.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Changing angle of 64 f100 steering box

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the one major problem with this is the pittman arm cannot be relocated (clocked) on the shaft so by pulling up on the column the turning radius will be affected.
taking the column and gearbox apart and adding a universal joint in the column shaft would be ok however then the column tube must be cut at an angle mating to the gearbox.
other types of mods may be possible such as a lengthening the drag link between the pittman and spindle.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I have the same problem on my F350, gargantuan wheel and equal gut! My thought was to shorten the column without changing the angle. This would be complicated if a column shift were to be retained; otherwise it appears that shortening the column and shaft and relocating the bottom bearing could be accomplished fairly easily. It would require cutting the integral shaft and utilizing a coupling or rag joint, however, so one could certainly increase the angle also, although my concern would be the overlap with the existing frame holes. The relocated holes could be sleeved for the new positioning. The pitman arm can fairly easily be "re-clocked" by any competent machine shop via broaching or machining a new "master" spline in the modified position as long as the new position does not infringe on the old master, or as Brian stated, a longer link between pitman and spindle could be fabricated. I am firmly opposed to modifying any steering or suspension part via welding. My choice, if I were to choose that course, would be a replacement adjustable shaft with heavy duty Heim joints at each end. It is also possible no modification would be required; one would have to check all the geometry involved.
Since my F350 tow truck takes an extreme amount of effort to turn at low speeds with all moving parts free and well lubricated, I am hoping to make the No Limit power rack and pinion for the F100/250's work on the 350. The strength of the Mustang II based rack may be a weak link, although I don't view it as a significant one based on my current knowledge.
If it shows indication of being a problem, the long-term plan of transplanting everything onto a later model PS and PDB frame will have to be accelerated.
My truck is intended to see very limited road usage, so I'm hoping to forgo major revisions for a while. Since a smaller steering wheel diameter is not an option, I may have to make do with a replacement wheel with "zero" dish to free up a precious inch or so!

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

You could slot the holes in the frame to allow the angle to change.

The drop can be shortened.

The arm can be heated and bent. The 5deg that you are changing it would not be that much to a bend and would not effect the steering.

My :2cents:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Theres always Bud Light :D. Go ahead laugh I dropped 20 + pounds this year just going from regular Mountain Dew to Diet Dew :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

MadMaxetc wrote:You could slot the holes in the frame to allow the angle to change.

The drop can be shortened.

The arm can be heated and bent. The 5deg that you are changing it would not be that much to a bend and would not effect the steering.

Dan, You are probably correct, and certainly have more knowledge of such matters, in that it would have little consequence (effect). It will however, have a direct mechanical effect; you have (slightly) changed the radius of the pittman arm effective arc, making the steering slightly "quicker", thus harder, and probably slightly more prone to "bump steer" As stated, the practical effects MAY be neglible, even with no changes to the steering arms.
On the other hand, I am not sure I would consider slotted holes, or modified pittman arm, on a system where the gearbox is subject to a fore and aft load, no matter how slight the changes.
Paul.
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Well, it was alot of work and figuring ,but I shortened my 63 column-moved it over to center it on the dash cluster -raised it up and angled the column to a comfortable angle. The biggest issue is that the box is right at the floor pan so both heim joints and everything is done inside the cab.
But I LOVE it!
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Looks like an excellent answer! What did you use for the lower bearing/bushing, and how did you arrange the lower column support?
What did you use for the coupling joints and additional shaft?
I especially like the left to right centering; my biggest objection to Cobra kit cars is my feeling I am going down the road sideways :D , well, that and the fact I don't fit in them any better than I do in the F350!
Thanks,
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

scared.gif Is exercise out of the question? scared.gif
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Didn't Skip give this a try a while back? I have read that some who have shortened the column without a pretty good angle adjustment have had a problem with the wheel in the lap. Fanatic's seems to work though.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Gritsngumbo wrote:Didn't Skip give this a try a while back? I have read that some who have shortened the column without a pretty good angle adjustment have had a problem with the wheel in the lap. Fanatic's seems to work though.
Ain't got a lap anymore, so that's not my problem. I thought I had my problem solved using a late model column with the "multi-function switch" and tilt. That worked pretty well until I nearly broke my toe switching off my high beams :oops:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Toyz wrote:That worked pretty well until I nearly broke my toe switching off my high beams :oops: Paul
That's funny.

Well, not lap, but tops of legs.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
machinegunmike
Belgium

Post by machinegunmike »

Hey fellas thank you for all of your input, I'm going to take it apart and look and see what will and will not work, I have access to a Bridgeport and a lathe here at work so I can fabricate changes as needed, and as far as the diet well,....... Lets just say I'm working on that also, thanks again.

Mike
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Column/steering box angle changes were done by Tim for his 62 Uni LSR truck.
Mods had a different goal but the idea is the same.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19250
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

I didn't like how close my belly was to the steering in my 64 either, so I just put a 13" grant wheel on it.

It gave me the needed room and a pretty good daily upper body workout.

J
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Rusted64 wrote:I didn't like how close my belly was to the steering in my 64 either, so I just put a 13" grant wheel on it.

It gave me the needed room and a pretty good daily upper body workout.
J
I replaced my wheel with a 14 3/4" myself.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

So, I guess I might try a 9" non-dish steering wheel? I tried a removable racing type wheel, but putting it back on before the corners became time consuming and troublesome :evil: I then tried racing seats, but I could never get the pair of them to fit me comfortably! I'm going to try a workout designed to strengthen stomach muscles; maybe I can get them to handle the steering!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Toyz wrote:So, I guess I might try a 9" non-dish steering wheel? I tried a removable racing type wheel, but putting it back on before the corners became time consuming and troublesome :evil: I then tried racing seats, but I could never get the pair of them to fit me comfortably! I'm going to try a workout designed to strengthen stomach muscles; maybe I can get them to handle the steering!
Paul
:laughing:

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Been a while since I did that column, but I used some urethane shackle bushings (red). I cut and refabbed the column drop and there is a "V" support at the lower end of the column that goes up to the pedal support. The shaft and universals were junkyard scavenged. I have noticed that 2000ish Rangers have a nice shaft since I did this.
The hardest part was getting everything aligned before making "V" suppport. I tried it with a small steering wheel but it was a pain to turn, so I am running it with a 15" one now and love it. Much more comfortable angle to the wheel. Raising the column up REALLY made the angle nice.
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.