Probably a dumb question, but........

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rusted64
United States of America

Probably a dumb question, but........

Post by Rusted64 »

Ok, here it goes.

If a trucks going in reverse and the truck dies, and the clutch stays ingaged, will the engine start moving in reverse? Or possibly rolling backwards, fast, and it being in 1st somehow?

If it does, would that harm the engine, fuel pump, etc.?

I am getting my engine back into the slick again and something happened during this that sparked this question in my head, can't remember what it was. And also thinking about using the push start method.

I know, I know, I am sure this is dumb, but just wondering of the possibilities.

Thanks,
J
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Probably a dumb question, but........

Post by slick4x4 »

Not dumb at all, a question is a question
Turning an engine backwards ( for a short period of time ) shouldn't hurt it
And yes if you have your tranny in a 'forward' gear
And the truck is moving backwards ..
. The engine is turning backwards of the direction it runs normally
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I pulled started a Lousiville dump truck loaded with gravel in reverse. It started right & he drove away.

Think about it a minute when you drive in reverse what makes it go backward. It the trans the engine will not turn in reverse.
Tom Williams
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Start my jeep rolling backwards all the time, motor dosent know its rolling in reverse .

Danny
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

As posted above:
(A) No, the trans in reverse would allow the engine to turn in normal direction. A sharp engagement COULD damage worn timing components or potentially cause over-revving.
(B) Yes, if in first, the gear reduction COULD allow the engine to wind up to a speed somewhat equivalent to what it would be turning if it were driving the wheels while in reverse gear . The first and reverse ratios are both low geared, thus turning the engine at a high relative speed. If for instance, the vehicle was rolling backward at a quick pace , and the clutch was popped, it might develop enough torque to turn the engine backward and result in problems.
I am assuming Tom is referring to pulling the truck backwards with the trans in reverse! If the trans was in first and being pulled backwards, see (B)

This action MIGHT affect the timing chain/gears if well worn, mostly because of the sharp engagement, but probably would have little effect if the engine was in decent condition, as long as resultant engine rpm was below red-line. Naturally an engine driven oil pump is not going to build pressure with reversed rotation, so extended duration would result in damaged lubricated parts.
I have freed up frozen engines by releasing the clutch momentarily in top gear while being pushed forward; then stopping and repeating the process in reverse to rock the engine free. I would not recommend this procedure on anything but a severely locked engine caused by corrosion, not mechanical failure!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I once managesd to kick start a two stroke motorcycle in reverse rotation. It sounded a little strange but wrapped crisply; put it in first and wrapped the throttle. I then spent an extended amount of time aboard the bike wedged under a workbench!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul