bcook07's Unibody Build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

390fastback
Canada

Re: bcook07's Unibody Build

Post by 390fastback »

Awesome! Thanks!!
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

390fastback wrote:Since its a little easier to get at then most, could you measure the tank for me? I've tried to get them on line but all I get are capacities. And maybe a pic of how you've got it mounted?

The one in my donar was squashed to the point I couldn't get it out.

I have some more welding to do but this is the overall setup i made for mounting the fuel tank. I will be shortening the fuel neck and making a sheet metal cover for the tank.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

You know every time I see a new picture of your truck I have to look back behind me and make sure mine is still there :D. Even the inside of the bed or lack of bed :D looks the same .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Rick, I dont know wether to tell you its cool that our trucks are alike, or to offer my condolences that yours looks like mine lol.

I think i am going to patch up the floor with flat sheet, I will reinforce under it and then it will all be covered by the fuel tank cover anyway.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

The good news for me with the bed floor is I will be cutting out a good sized chunk in order to set the truck down on the crown vic chassis which will give me a good sized chunk of patch panel plus I have a longbed uni with enough bed floor left to patch most of the rest that needs replaced .

Rick
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Those pics are great! You have no idea how helpful those pis picks are!

And....wow! I thought my truck was rusty!
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

I guess its time for another update. I finished up filling in the dash holes that i am not going to use and smoothed out the steps as best as i could. they are still a little rough but i am going to bedline them for durability so the little inperfections wont be noticeable.

I painted the interior an eggshell Black. Its supposed to be between flat and semigloss.

1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looking good your getting it done . I like the eggshell gives it a little gloss but not enough to blind you when the sun hits it .

Rick
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

I like the eggshell gives it a little gloss but not enough to blind you when the sun hits it
It also covers up my terrible body work :mrgreen:

The real reason i went with the eggshell is because I was trying to get it close to the color/gloss level of a modern plastic dash. I plan on using some factory componets from the crown vic and i think they will blend better with the eggshell than with the full or semi gloss. And I did NOT want flat. Its too over done imo.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL couldnt agree with you more . When I started seeing Honda civics in flat black with red wheels I was over the whole Flat paint thing :D.

Rick
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Just a quick update, I got the windsheild and the rear glass in the truck last night. The windsheild was a bitch to say the least. I have installed a few windsheilds in older f100's and they have went in fine. we had to fight this one all the way. The back glass thankfully went much easier.

On a side note, the guy that is helping me build my truck picked this up in Arkansas. The cab has virtually no rust. There is some rust in the bed floor from leaves sitting in the bed. We are planning on putting in a crown vic ifs, doing a rear end flip (possibly going to a 8.8 w/ disc brakes) and sbf/aod. we are going to use alot of spare parts we have collected. Probably going to be sold once running.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looking good . I am guessing you will pull the windows back out when you paint the outide of the truck .

Rick
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Yah, most likely. Its going to be a while before i do the body work and paint the exterior any more than just a primer coat to make it look a little less like a brown blotchy milk cow. My next order of business is to get the inteior in it and then get the front clip primed and back on it. I will drive it a while to work out the bugs and then worry about the final body work later.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
61flareside
United States of America

Post by 61flareside »

Hey man truck looks great. Was wondering what you did with the motor mounts. I'm not sure how I'm going to mount mine yet. Any pictures?
1961 f100 shortbed flareside
---Drop beam, flipped rear hangers, extended shackles, 4.6 w/5spd swapped from 02 mustang, always under construction
1996 f150 regular cab shortbed work rig
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Hey man truck looks great. Was wondering what you did with the motor mounts. I'm not sure how I'm going to mount mine yet. Any pictures?
The motor mounts are stock. Because i used a 4.6L in the cradle designed for a 4.6 i just bolted on a stock set of mounts to the engine and dropped it in, no fab work at all. I dont have any pics (not much to see) but since the cradle was from a 03-11 car i just used mounts i got off ebay for a 03-11 car.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
61flareside
United States of America

Post by 61flareside »

Oh gotcha. That's cool I didn't catch that you used that. Did you use all the emissions and the pats system?
---Drop beam, flipped rear hangers, extended shackles, 4.6 w/5spd swapped from 02 mustang, always under construction
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Nope, I deleted the egr and the evap. The car I bought was a 2000 crown vic cop car. It does not have pats. When I get it on the road I am going to custom tune the pcm with the Delta Force Sniper system http://www.deltaforcetuning.com

I also put my harness on a major diet. I have the engine harness intact. There are basiclly 3 connectors that take care of connecting the engine harness to the rest of the vehicle. I cut those connectors off the body harness and have tapped into them. I integrated the efi harness with my rebel wire harness
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
61flareside
United States of America

Post by 61flareside »

So you want to adjust the tune yourself?
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Well it's been a while since i posted anything on this build. I have done some work but not a ton. First to answer the question...
61flareside wrote:So you want to adjust the tune yourself?
yes. I will be doing a custom tune myself.

lately I notched the rear frame to keep the axle from hitting the frame. I got my sheet of steel to start patching the bed and making the tank cover. I put a window mounted radio antenna in and routed the cable along the roof, down the pillar and under the dash. I have really just been gathering parts to make the next push. I have everything i need to get the a/c plumbed now. I got the radio and 4 speakers. I also got a carpet kit. I did get some wheels that fit a little better. Not my first choice but not too bad. Oh and i primed the grill and front fenders.

1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looks great . I have the spinners for those rims . I picked up a set of the rims and ordered the spinners before test fitting the rims on the car :D. They dont fit the 88 Crown Vic front hubs so wont be using them .

Rick