Type A, Type-F, Dexron III?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ken462

Type A, Type-F, Dexron III?

Post by ken462 »

This seems to be a highly debatable subject just about anywhere on the net. The maintenance manual for my 1964 HD cruise-o-matic calls for ford spec M2C33-A/B transmission fluid (i.e. Type-A). I bought type-F before I saw the recommendation in the manual but have not filled the trany yet (just a qrt in TC before install). Type A seems to be hard, but not impossible, to find.

Several state Dexron III is good when OEM calls for Type A or F....

Interested in knowing what slick owners are running in 1964 or earlier HD cruise-o-matics or any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

ken
BarnieTrk

Re: Type A, Type-F, Dexron III?

Post by BarnieTrk »

Ken,
First off, of my vehicles built before 2002, I don't have an automatic transmission in any of them. They all have manual transmissions.

But I do like to discuss the proper use of lubricants and coolants.

So to kick off this debate:
If it was me, I'd put a quality Type F ATF in a early 60's Ford COM automatic transmission :2cents:
Such as: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants. ... on%20Fluid

Not Dextron anything, not Mercon anything. Type F.

Now, let the debating start! :boxing:

BarnieTrk :steering:
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I agree with Barney.
Only Type F in the older Ford transmissions.
Type F replaced the original Type A which was specified from the early 50's when automatics actually became a reliable reality.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ken462

Post by ken462 »

Thanks Barney & Skip,

After 49 years of who knows what in the tranny, it's probably not critical either way.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Hmmm, my '64 lube charts and specifications DO refer to Ford spec M-2C33-C/D, But it also has a disclaimer under "alternate lubricant" stating "Only one quart of Automatic transmission fluid marked "Type A, Suffix A" may be used to "add to" factory fill".
Ford spec M-2C33-F appeared in 1967 and was the "type F" fluid with a recommendation for use in place of previous M-2C-33 fluid specs.
IMO, the "critical" part is the difference in friction modifiers between Type F and "Dexron" fluids. Most "performance" ATF's in the early years fell more in line with the Ford spec as to the additive types and amounts.
So, Type F gets my vote, although I personally prefer something a little more "exotic"
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ken462

Post by ken462 »

Paul,
I double checked my lube charts after your post and low and behold mine states exactly the same...that's what I get for working off memory....

Looks like Type F it is.

Ken