Need some wheel interchange info.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Unibodyguy1

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask about something for "fridge" style Ford trucks her insted of a Slick. I recently "inherited" a 57 F350 truck that was formally a wrecker, that had the wrecker body taken off and put on another newer Ford truck. What I have is the cab and chasis. Its a Y-block and granny 4 sd. What I'm looking for is some modern wheels for it. What it has currently is 6 lug, 8:00 X 17'5's not exactly a cheap tire to buy, times 6. What I'd like to go with is a 16" tire insted. The wheel lug pattern is 6 on 7 1/4 in. If anybody knows of anything I'd sure appreciate it, don't really care what their off of as long as they work. I'll probably change out the rear end too since it has plow pulling 5:14 gears.

thanks,
Michael
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Hi Michael,

I have been trying to deal with similar problems - the old wheels and low gearing (I think my gears are 5:37s) on my 65 F350 stake-body. The gearing makes the truck pretty tough to use on the highway.

I finally bought 16.5 inch custom-made steel wheels from Stockton Wheels in California. This is the only solution I could find because of the rare 7.25 inch bolt pattern. Frank Mauro is the guy to talk to.

The wheels just came a couple days ago and look pretty good. I decided to make it a super single truck and put much taller tires on it to help the gearing, four 36x12.5 hummer tires.

I Have not had the tires mounted yet, and not sure when I will be able to, as my schedule is hectic at the moment. Also not sure if I will have clearance problems yet either.

Hoping I don't have to change the rear, but that may come down the road as well.

Anyway, good to meet you, and I will keep you posted.

Jim
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Hi Michael, Fist I would change the wheels to 16" like on my F-350 Wrecker and by doing this change the rear end mine has a rear out of a 72 F-350 which bolted in 4:10 gear also available in 3:73 and can go all the way to 1979 on interchange, tie your brake cables up since thery had them on the newer trucks, get a fitting adapter for the brake hose and go to the parts house and get 2 400 turbos universals to use the same caps... Front end use the whole front suspension out of a 73-79 F-350 and boom you have 8 lug 16" wheels all the way around with late rear end for the highway,,, Hot enough in Vegas for you, leaving next week again for out there today suppose to be 98 here with about 80% or more humidity
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Unibodyguy1

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

Jim and Tom,
thanks for both of your responses, I really appreciate it . I think Tom's idea ( which I pretty much had thought of doing to begin with) probably is the best and most cost effective. I would imagin the wheels that you had made up Jim were pretty expensive to begin with. Let me know if you can how much.
Tom, the weather out here has been pretty damn good. Was about 98-100 here today and very low humidity, probably 15% or so. Hopefully it will stay that way for you. Can't think of anything that I've seen for your shopping list here, nothing worth while anyway. If I do happen to run accross anything I'll let you know. If you can a few days before you get here, give me a yell, maybe we can do lunch/coffee or something like in Boulder Station.

Michael
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Hi Mike, Ron up at Vegas Valley over by the speedway did have a front clip off a 73-79 F-350 in which has everything for 300.00, and can fix you up with a rear end as well Thats where I have getting all my bigger truck stuff, If you go up there tell him I sent you since we a know him pretty good... Tom
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Unibodyguy1

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

Tom,
if I can fit him in, I'll probably see him this Friday. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

Michael