OUCH!

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LM14
United States of America

OUCH!

Post by LM14 »

Well, just taking my time stripping the front suspension out of my '62 uni build so I can put in the Industrial Chassis Dakota kit. Everything was going great. Had the axle and springs out, most of the mount rivets cut off.

Starting on the steering box/column. A few of the screws on the floor plate were rusted/rounded off to the point that no wrench would fit them so I grabbed the angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel for the last sheetmetal screw. Thing kicked back off the loosened screw and drove straight down my left thumb.

I have a really neat slice from the quick of my thumbnail to the tip and almost half the depth of my thumb. Same width notch as a 5/64 cutoff wheel. Nice drive 5 miles home, think the rain/sleet/wind coming in thru the open window actually kept me from passing out. Found a use for this crappy weather.

Doc says they can't stitch anything since it's right down the nail, went right beside the bone and came out the tip. Just for fun, it seemed to be packed full of grit, grease, cutoff wheel and steel dust. Nurse had fun scrubbing it out, me not so much. This will slow things down for a couple days. No pics will follow, I'll respect the squeamish. Ouch!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: OUCH!

Post by jamesdfo »

Steve: That hurts just to think about!

Consider yourself lucky, last fall, a friend of a friend here had a zip disc kick back on him while he was working on his sprint car, cut clean through his kneecap!!.....he was walking with a cane, and turned over driving duties to my friend for the last race of the season.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Steve I`m nearly spewing just reading this, hope it heels up real quick for you mate!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i hate when that kind of thing happens.

last couple times i have super glued myself back together after cleaning the wound.

friend of mine blew up a 12" angle grinder wheel on his hand last year, he had one of the neighbor women sew him up.

hope it heals up ok but at our age the scars dont go away too easy anymore.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I worked pipeline construction all my life. When I first started at 15, we didn't even use grinders, it was shoe handle and block brushes and ice pics. A year or two later we started using Dlack and Decker grinders with psuh on and push off buttons. These had a unique slide thru the handle button , push thru the handle for on and back for off. What was interesting, were these were 9,000 rpm grinders and discs were rated for less than 7,000 rpm. Big heavy units that were later incorporated with plastic handles and trigger switches and ddroped to 7,00 rpm. The early ones were a real beast to run all day. Try grinding about 100 40 inch joints in a day , bead pass only of course and only one side. When you got done at the end of a ten hour shift. Later yet, wer were using air grinders without regulators . Much lighter and faster, this lasted till one of the helpers doing the grinding blew one of the discs and it cut off the top of his head. They decided to check and see how many rpm the grinders were turning. 33,000 rpm. This is when regulators were finally installed. Some companies went back to the B+D grinders.. Can't tell you how many of those discs I had blow apart on me, along with one of thoseearly B+D shooting flame out of the handle where the wires went in. Flame would shoot out roughly three feet. Didn't take me long to drop the grinder when it did that. Problem with the early grinders with the push switch is when you ddropped it, it was still in the running position. I still have one of those grinders. Now, nearly everyone has gone to the little grinders. Those work but don't hold a cndle to those old ones as to grinding.

Rich
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have superglued myself to models, the floor (I dripped some and stepped on it).
2" cut in a finger from an 11" prop at about 10,000 RPM - that got stitches. You know you cut it deep when the knuckle bone peeks out if you bend the finger.
Got myself with the grinder same as you.
I think the best one was the weld slag that dropped on a tennis shoe, it doesn't even slow down heading for your big toe and there is no humanly possible way to get the sock & shoe off fast enough - trust me on this.
Keep it bandaged for a few days + with triple anti biotic ointment (Neosoprin) - it will jump star the healing and keep it moist.
If it dries out it will take forever. I know some say let it breath, yep - a couple hours a day in the evening should do.
Hope it doesn't cause you too much more grief Steve.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

This is pretty minor compared to some past "oops", but it still hurts like hell compared to most of them. I've broken toes, fingers, bad cuts x100, knocked myself out and probably one of the most helpless feeling was a blob of slag going down a coat sleeve and stopping on my inner elbow while lying on my back under a truck. That took a while to heal.

I'm most mad about the fact it was my last bolt before I had the entire front stripped and ready to start putting in the IC kit. Know how hard it is to do anything without using your thumb? I know now how we evolved above species that don't have a thumb like us!

Tomorrow it's back to working on it. Thumb be damned. Supposed to get my re-drilled axles and drums back and my 9" for the Maverick. Life goes on. Dianne is a nurse, she's in charge of recovery.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Neosoprin is indeed a WONDER drug. I swear you can almost watch the wound heal.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Sorry about your "oops". Hope it heals soon.

I once got a wire cup attached to my angle grinder caught in my shirt. ripped the shirt off and was still going on the skin of my chest. That one hurt.

Also had a 1/2" bit catch on my cordless drill. the battery pack end swung around and hit me right in my temple. (I was pushing with my shoulder) It knocked me out and I needed 4 stitches for that one.

We all do dumb sh*t, but as long as we make it out alive and learn from each others f-ups...it's all good.

Stay Safe-ish! :wink: :cheers:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
stronger66ratfink

Post by stronger66ratfink »

well,
I was going to ask,
once you get thru doing the swap,
come over and help me do mine on the 61

but I don't want blood all over that Teal and White paint job!

Ouch is right!
Miss Daisy 1966 F100 short bed custom cab 2004-2014
78' F250 XLT Ranger
13' CVO Road King
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I am still trying not to think about it.....

the CUT, Power tool scare me :P
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

yet this guy gets away with tempting fate

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/05/05/diy-donts/
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

How the hell did he get it up like that? if he lifted it up, then if it fell on him, he could just throw it off. :bs:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Hey give him a break!, he has at least got the wheel chocked, and besides that little car wouldn`t hurt that much would it? :(
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:yet this guy gets away with tempting fate

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/05/05/diy-donts/
And it has a hitch? :shock: What could it pull! :lol:
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

teeth !
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

foodstick wrote:teeth !
They'd have to be rotten :)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:laughing: you guys! :lol:

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Ouch 2.0, today was fun. This truck may kill me before we're done with it!

Today I decided to play with the new polisher I bought several months ago. Opened it up, mounted it on the bench and started to play with some aluminum trim that needed polishing. Since the piece I was playing with needed stripped still, I pulled off a turn signal trim ring from the '66 to work on (it has already had the anodizing stripped off). It was shinning up real nice...

until I didn't pay attention for a split second and it jerked the piece out of my hand and flipped it. Slapped my thumb and finger pretty hard and threw it into the corner (just as well, I would probably have thrown it if I had held on to it anyway). Made a nice dent across the thumb nail and a good slice/split on my finger.

Now I have a sore thumb, again, and a sliced finger plus I ruined the nice trim piece for the '66 (if you look at the first 2 pics you can kind of make out the huge dent/twist in the part). It's the same thumb I ran the grinder down! This thumb will not live thru the project at this rate. Sorry for the crappy pics but it's real hard to look thru the camera with tears in your eyes.

Have a good day,
SPark

unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Step away from the vehicle.
I REPEAT STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE AND PUT THE POWER TOOLS DOWN
Been there, done that. . . Hope your string of bad luck comes to an end while you still have fingers left
I tend to leave things for a few days when that starts happening.
I agree with Ice we heal slower and scar easier with age
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!