Time to get away from points?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

f100jim
United States of America

Time to get away from points?

Post by f100jim »

Yesterday,I was working on my 73 f600 with 330 v8. Checked around with the chain stores and nobody but autozone stocks points/condenser and theirs are crap china stuff,not even worth putting on.O reillys can get accell stuff for $42 I haven't priced at NAPA yet, but I bet they've gone up since my last points purchase. I know my 65 is due for a tune up so I'm thinking about an update. I haven't done a search here yet,but will on pertronix stuff. Just had to rant. Something so common on older fords not "in stock" is just stupid IMHO.
aarons428
Germany

Re: Time to get away from points?

Post by aarons428 »

It is very easy to convert it to a duraspark I've done a few. Never had a problem with it. I just like to keep it all Ford.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

aarons428 wrote:It is very easy to convert it to a duraspark I've done a few. Never had a problem with it. I just like to keep it all Ford.
Yeah,I like the idea of all ford,but want a stock original look to it. From what I understand, pertronix fits all under my original dist cap and I can use my original coil??
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

f100jim wrote: Yeah,I like the idea of all ford,but want a stock original look to it. From what I understand, pertronix fits all under my original dist cap and I can use my original coil??
I guess it depends how far you want to take it. To a sharp eye, Pertronix does not look original. A good aftermarket box will eat Pertronix for lunch but of course, there is a vast difference in price, too. You can always hide the box.

You can get points from Summit. They should be nowhere near $42.00. The Accel points will be the most expensive, but they are nice. I am not sure of their country of origin, though.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/depa ... ord=points
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

If I can find good quality points, I'd be satisfied to run that. I can install them and be back on the road in 15-20 min. Done it :) . Thanks Charlie,got summit bookmarked.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i always use standard blue streak points and tune up parts.
i was still able to order them thru an independent auto parts store in Alaska, same place i got all my y block stuff without any hassles.
i have not checked down here yet but theres only 2 NAPA stores close by.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

Ice, I've had good luck and bad with ecklin/napa condensers,but wouldn't hesitate using them. In fact I think that's what's in the 65 now. Got napa point/condenser in my 600 ford tractor.Same set been in it for maybe 5 yrs now.
Last edited by f100jim on May 18, 2013, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

Advance used to keep blue streak in stock,but don't stock now
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Screw the points. When auto makers first came out with the electronic stuff I was extremely worried and there were some problems, but not nearly as many as I thought there would be. After a few years most of those problems went away. They got the system down pat. I have used petronix for several years now and bought a few extra sets for use in the future. Other than poor understanding of how to install these at first, I am a true fan of petronix. These need 12 volts to the distributer which means eliminating the voltage droping wire to the distributer, but leaving the voltage drop to coil if using stock coil.It just means you run a new wire from your ignition switch to the distributer. Simple change and no more messing with burnt points and condenser.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

You can also utilize a relay triggered by the coil plus wire to provide battery 12v to the distributor.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
f100jim
United States of America

Post by f100jim »

Well, yesterday I found the REAL culprit that was making the f600 run so crappy. The vacuum advance on the dist. It would set there and idle perfect and as soon as I'd give it some gas, it'd sound like it was running on two cyl. I unpluged the vac line and ole bessy smoothed out. It had been soooo long since I've had to fool with any dist vac advance, I didn't even think about it :roll: I think I have a spare advance somewhere. I did also replace the fuel pump because of a leak so she should be ready to go :D