one persons thought about SS.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

one persons thought about SS.

Post by Kid »

The following is from HoofbeatRacer about SlickStock-4 , I hope he doesnt mind me posting it for the ones who did not see the magazine article.

As I loaded my suitcase aboard the Greyhound bus, I knew that I was starting a journey like no other I had ever experienced. My bags were packed not with clothes, but with carefully wrapped truck parts and a photo album of my own little garage queen that was unable to make the trip of what was to be one of the best times I had ever had.

Five years prior, I had pulled an abanoned 66 Ranger out of the bushes and dragged it home with the thoughts bringing it back to its previous glory. With no previous knowledge of these workhorses of the past and minimal computer savvy, I stumbled upon this website called Slick 60s and it changed my life forever. The reception I received kept me coming back for more, night after night. It was more than a place to talk trucks, it had become a place where I could share laughs and stories with the best group of guys that I never met. The late nights that I spent in the garage were matched by the countless late nights spent on the forum and Sunday nite chat sessions building friendships with the members here. Perhaps my truck would have been built in two years instead of four, but the laughs and comraderie I had at Slick 60s kept me coming back for more.

I was fortunate enough to attend Slickstock III in Kansas City, MO last summer. It was an 1800 mile journey that spanned a 5 hour bus ride and 2 flights that got me there. Feeling the late August heat through the terminal gate in KC announced that I had finally arrived and shortly thereafter I was greeted by a dozen or so members that I knew quite well however had no idea what anyone looked like. A round of warm handshakes and an open cooler soon started what was about to be the best 4 days I ever had. It wasn't the venue or the sight seeing that made the trip, but the leaning over old trucks in a hotel parking lot sharing stories till the early hours of the morning is what made this group so great. It was not like a car show, there was no judging and everything was special in their on way. The trucks ranged from daily drivers to working farm trucks to national level show rigs. Every ride there was as unique and diverse as the members that showed up. Not all had trucks, members from Canada, the United States, and Australia were all there everyone felt right at home. That was because we all knew each other. From online banters to countless tips and tricks, we had all shared conversations in the past. All I can say is that I cannot wait until Iowa nexy summer.
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
Toyz
United States of America

Re: one persons thought about SS.

Post by Toyz »

Glad you posted that!
I would like to read the article.
I wonder if HBR ever completed that truck he mentioned? :P
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I used HBR's post (which I thought was excellent) to help convince a member (who didn't have a truck to bring) to come to Slick Stock 2010 anyway. And that's before I had even attended one myself. Can't remember now who it was.
Last edited by Gritsngumbo on May 12, 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Slickstock 10?, Man, I gotta stop napping! :?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

:oops: Slickstock 2010. All corrected Now! :lol:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer