Distributor Blues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Distributor Blues

Post by Mr. Jones »

My 300 has spun all the life out of the dist.Spoke to O,Rieally and they show two models in stock first is an ac-delco and the other I can't recall.Has anyone bought a rebuilt dist. lately? Your input would be very helpful.Also, would someone have a 240/300 Dist. you would sell?The shaft wiggles around,is there a replaceable bearing that I could install?
Brians1966
United States of America

Re: Distributor Blues

Post by Brians1966 »

Don't know about the AC Delco unit but if the other one was A1 Cardone thats the one you want.This company has been around a very long time and has always produced excellent parts. They show 2 different distributors for the 240/300- one thermactor and one non thermactor emission, each cost about $40 exchange.
I replaced mine a few years ago and have had no issues at all. I got mine at Advance Auto where I work.
If your distributor has a flat vacuum advance with a brass fitting screw in vacuum line its part # 30-2609 which is 42.99 exchange.
Hope this helps Brian
1966 F-100 LONG BED, 240cid 3 speed red and white, Red and White Interior with a Mossy Oak Seat Cover
2013 Ford F150 STX Supercab 5.0 litre

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try to do something incredibly stupid!

CONFIDENCE: Is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation!
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

Convert to the duraspark II.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

More than likely, as Brian stated, you have the infamous Loadamatic distributor. Best solution IMO is the Cardone replacement ( most likely the p/n Brian referred to). If you feel the need to eliminate the points now or later, you can easily and economically add the Pertronix replacement without "upsetting the apple cart". For under $50.00 exchange, it would be hard to make a case for any other options IMO.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

Many people have no idea that the dizzy and the carby on early 60s Fords are of the LOM desogn. Often they are now mismatched such as on our 65 Mustang. I have a orginial LOM dizzy and a replacement non-LOM Holley 1940.

The OP should check his carb for a SCV and determine which dizzy he needs.

If there is no SCV, I would convert to a Duraspark II, new its under $100.

If there is a SCV, the carb will also need replacing if converting to a Duraspark II.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

I put a Duraspark and carb off a 1980's pickup on my '66 6-banger. The difference was amazing! You would have thought I put a whole new engine in there. Started much quicker, ran smoother, more power, better gas mileage, just a whole new ball game altogether. Do it!
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Not for a 6, but bought a Ford remanf distributor for a 91 T-bird 5.0 V8 from NAPA. Wasn't cheap but it seemed to be well done and in the couple of weeks I have had it has gave me no problems.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold