steering wheel questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

Doc on mine, the adapter is covered by the black grommet (boot) right below it, its about 3 1/2 inches to the neck of the columns housing, I havent looked at it in over a year now so I may be off a bit
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Grant sells the steering wheel that Phil showed a pic of (yes just like mine) as a 14 3/4". I believe it's called a "Classic", I don't have PS and am running (at present) 235-75s on the front of the Uni. I can steer it with 1 hand comfortably most of the time. I DO however keep my front end well greased, this makes a HUGE difference. I don't have any trouble with the horn button ricocheing off my noggin. There are little cutouts in the piece the horn button snaps on to, you have to make sure when you pop it on that are NOT lined up with the dimples that hold the button on. To be honest I have never had any trouble with the Grant horn buttons (had 4 of their wheels now). I believe with a little work I can mount a Slick horn button to it anyway, just haven't gotten to fabbing up the button mount yet. Some of this is just personal choice, Phil is willing to trade his off - I bought mine cause I like it.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I've had troubles with their horn buttons, but only with the ones that have been taken on & off 50 times. The fiberboard that the cap grabs onto gets worn out after a while & won't give the dimples on the button a good spot to grab onto.
The wheels that I've just installed & left alone, I haven't had problems with.

That being said though, IMO, it's still a dumb design that could have been improved on after all these years. :)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

mine as well is a grant, no problems with the horn button yet, but it hasnt been removed since installed, if you look closely I bought the ford logo horn button as well :D and my Aoogah horn from harbor freight makes it well worth pushing it to annoy others :lol:
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

dotcentral wrote:Thanks for the photos guys.

How much does the mounting adapter move the steering wheel into the cab?

The wheel actualy doesn't move, the adaptor takes the place of the dish in the stock wheel. It might move it 1"-1.5"
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Trukcrazy

Post by Trukcrazy »

DV65CustomCab wrote:I would be afraid of going too small even with power steering. 15" is probably the smallest I'd consider. Tiny wheels look, well, silly on these trucks. 8)
I'm not a fan of wood steering wheels from a safety aspect.

What is the safety aspect you speak of? I have a Grant classic mahogany wheel in my truck. Besides the good looks, they don't get hot in the summer or cold in the winter.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Trukcrazy wrote:
DV65CustomCab wrote:I would be afraid of going too small even with power steering. 15" is probably the smallest I'd consider. Tiny wheels look, well, silly on these trucks. 8)
I'm not a fan of wood steering wheels from a safety aspect.

What is the safety aspect you speak of? I have a Grant classic mahogany wheel in my truck. Besides the good looks, they don't get hot in the summer or cold in the winter.

That's true, Grant wheels absorb crash impacts by folding up nicely...personally tested by yours truely. :oops: :cry:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!