My 64 Slick

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Husker

My 64 Slick

Post by Husker »

Wow! Adding pcs with this touch pad was a chore!

So here she is folks. I finally had time to tinker with the old girl and get her running. The 223 runs but what a slug. She basically runs and drives and stops.

The biggest issue I have right now is the steering column. I am a big guy but my son is average and he has a hard time getting in and out. Take a look at those pcs and let me know if I have the correct steering column if you can.

Regarding the rest of the truck she is pretty straight for a 49 year old truck. She was originally red and spent all but the last 6 months on the west coast. The only rust bad rust on the truck is at the front of the bed as you can see in the pics it is not much. The underside of the truck is awesome just like all the typical rust spots on these trucks.

Last edited by Husker on June 22, 2013, 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
rickairmedic

Re: My 64 Slick

Post by rickairmedic »

Looks like a great start more sheetmetal on yours than mine to start with :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Husker

Post by Husker »

I paid a premium for that sheet metal Rick. I do my own paint and body work and prefer not to spend dollars and countless hours fixing rust. I have some work to do but she is nice enough that a bit of shrinking and a block and dolly will fix most of the body work. It won't take much filler to straighten it up.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I have a similar 64. Mines original Blue with a someones backyard sprayrig bad black paintjob! And a longbed instead.
Even the 223, however mine goes down the road just great. Stops better with discs up front.

I can't tell what's going on with that column. It looks to be shortened from the pic? but that doesn't seem possible. Obviously different wheel BUT still lower than mine?
Husker

Post by Husker »

The column makes it almost impossible to drive. I would pick up a replacement from my buddy with all the parts trucks but I am looking at the 03 Crown Vic swap and don't know if I want to spend the extra money.
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

nice chrome side moldings and grille. Alittle hard work and she will be great. Mine looked like that years ago,you wil be happy in the end. Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

One of the 'problems' with all the slicks is that the position of the steering wheel is both too close to the driver and at an uncomfortable position. Most of my efforts have been on the 65-66 models where I have been able to solve the issue by shortening the column. If you go with the crown vic swap, plan on changing out the column and wheel altogether and place it where it works for you.
dbrady

Post by dbrady »

I like it, think you have a great starting point. Side trim, inside step trim, bed's actually intact, am really envious. Good luck with the build.
Darren

2010 F150
1967 Mustang Coupe
1966 F100
dbrady

Post by dbrady »

I like it, think you have a great starting point. Side trim, inside step trim, bed's actually intact, am really envious. Good luck with the build.
Darren

2010 F150
1967 Mustang Coupe
1966 F100
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I don't know if the column has been shortened, but that smaller steering whell is definitely not as deep dished as a stock one, I bet you do have to strong arm it in the parking lots !