How to tell correct truck bed

TX, OK, AZ, LA, NM, AR, CO

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

donald luster

How to tell correct truck bed

Post by donald luster »

How do you tell the difference between all the slick step side beds and the correct one? this one was cut at the frame to make it a trailerl. I bought it because I can use it but not sure if it is correct one for my trk. Any help would be appreciated. Don
Truckrat
United States of America

Short bed

Post by Truckrat »

Hi Don, they used the same flareside bed from 53 to 72, and any of them should work. I have one off a 55, and it looks the same as the ones built in the 60s and early 70s.
That was one thing they stayed with for a long time. Is the wood floor good in yours? I am assuming you are referring to a short bed Flareside bed aren't you? TR
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

One caution. The beds are "basically the same BUT", the fenders are mounted lower on the 53-56 beds so be careful. Fenders will interchange though.
Caution on tail gates because I think the long beds are different.
Carolina Classics catalog has the particular information on stuff like that throughout the catalog.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Truckrat
United States of America

flareside beds

Post by Truckrat »

:oops: I did forget about the fenders. We put a 55 bed on my boy's 63, and it fit fine on there. However, the step at the front of the fenders wasn't on it, so I am not sure if it would have been level with the cab or what. I have a 56 longbed and the tailgate is wider and taller than the short box. It has an 8 foot long bed with a wood floor (that needs replaced too). As Skip said, check the distance between the top rail and the top of the fender on several beds to see what the difference is. I think the ones on the 67 and up may be the ones with the fenders closer to the bed rails. Don't take my word, tho, I could be mistaken. I don't see many of those short bed bumpsides around here. TR