Fuel cells

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61flareside
United States of America

Fuel cells

Post by 61flareside »

My tank is shot and I don't love the fact that its in the cab. So who has swapped tanks or installed a fuel cell in the bed area. Need to find one that fits well in the back. Thanks for the help.

Jesse
1961 f100 shortbed flareside
---Drop beam, flipped rear hangers, extended shackles, 4.6 w/5spd swapped from 02 mustang, always under construction
1996 f150 regular cab shortbed work rig
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
rickairmedic

Re: Fuel cells

Post by rickairmedic »

Jessy look down in the tips and tricks section and hunt for Uncle Skips mustang tank install its a sweet setup that works great in our trucks .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
ny1964
United States of America

Post by ny1964 »

Jesse let me know if you fine that post by uncle skip I look for it and could not fine it Scott thanks.
if it goes it goes if it don't it won't unless the hammer is the right size .
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Jesse, The Mustang tank is a sweet setup and reasonably easy to accomplish. Check California DMV rules about an in bed tank if you elect to use a fuel cell or other tank in the bed of your truck.
William-in-St. George
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Scott and Jesse Uncle Skips article isnt there gonna have to get him to repost it for us . He actually did the article for one of the truck mags and posted it here :D.

Rick
61flareside
United States of America

Post by 61flareside »

I'm pretty sure I've seen that write up before on the mustang tank. My trucks pretty far from stock now and I'm running FI so I need a return line so I'm probably going to go with a fuel cell, alum or plastic (I'm pretty cheap). I've seen a few guys on here with cells and wasn't sure if their was one designed for our trucks or not. I may go with a universal if I have to and just fab mounts. California does suck with all the laws but on this truck I'm not stressing it, it's running wide open exhaust right now and haven't been busted yet.
1961 f100 shortbed flareside
---Drop beam, flipped rear hangers, extended shackles, 4.6 w/5spd swapped from 02 mustang, always under construction
1996 f150 regular cab shortbed work rig
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Jesse look at some of the builds down in the projects section alot of guys are using crown vic components in their builds . I would say if your truly cheap look at a later model fuel injected car to snag the gas tank out of :D.

Rick
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

If your familiar with the mustang swap , these guys have made it real easy to do FI
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/ ... _F100.html

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd345.htm

Danny
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Uncle Skip reposted the link to his article in the Hints and Tricks section guys :D.

Rick
BlueGhost

Post by BlueGhost »

I put a 19 gallon fuel cell inside of a low profile toolbox in my bed. I sandwiched the floor of the tool box with some steel flat stock for help supporting the fuel cell. It takes up a little less than half of the tool box. The only bad thing is my tool box ends up smelling like gas even with the fuel cell vented to outside. I think a lot of the smell comes from gas dripping when fueling up and then being closed up, if I worked out a way to fill it externally it might help. Here is the fuel cell I went with:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-2191a/overview/
SBC is a defunct phone company, not an engine option.