OUCH - Painless Wiring

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

YukonCor55

OUCH - Painless Wiring

Post by YukonCor55 »

OK Gents, I've been going on and on about the importance of a good wiring harness for safety's sake. Well I guess it's time I heed my own advice. I thought the harness in my '62 was in good enough shape to be serviceable until today. I got underneath to do some repairs to the taillight circuit and it was shot, I can't believe the tallights worked at all. I figured I'd run a new circuit up to the dash and I'd be all set. Then it happened, As I worked around the main connector on the firewall (the one with the main 12V supply going into the cab) it broke off! :shock: The wires were rotten, the pins had long ago disappeared and what was left could not even be considered salvageable. Bear in mind that none of this damage was visible previously, the connector looked fine. First I was pissed, then I was thankful that the truck never caught fire with me in it!

My first thought was to just start from scratch and re-wire everything by hand. A friend told me to look into Painless Products. Well the only listing they have that's even close is for a 66-77 Bronco. That's my question...It's close but will it work? I'm not looking for an easy way out here, in fact I enjoy electrical work! I just want to install something that's reliable, but most of all SAFE!! Let's be honest, a real fuse block is never a bad thing! Any recommendations or experiences welcome. As always, THANK YOU, you guys are the best! :)
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:D YukonCor55, I have installed two painless wiring kits now and I am very happy with the product and the end result.I went with a 18 circuit kit just so I`d have spart circuits, you never know they might invent something new .So I would go for it :wink: .
Alan
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

I went with affordable street rods power panel and wiring kit was so easy
but I would now prefer a Haywire kit over anything else
tried to link but all my typing goes away and im not going through all of that again, only happens on this forum :oops:
Comet

Post by Comet »

I would think you could make a Bronco kit work, but be sure to check length to the tail lights. Broncos are pretty short. Otherwise, you could use one of their universal kits.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Comet wrote:I would think you could make a Bronco kit work, but be sure to check length to the tail lights. Broncos are pretty short. Otherwise, you could use one of their universal kits.

That's what I was thinking...the dash, engine bay, and headlight wiring looks pretty much identical. Also, it looks like it comes with the proper headlight and ignition switches. I figure I'd have to splice in some extra length to reach the taillights on my longbed but I can stagger the splices so I don't have a large wad of splices in one place. I probably should find out what the darn thing costs before I talk about cutting it up!! :shock:
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
BlueGhost

Post by BlueGhost »

I went with an EZ wiring kit. They go for around $150 and you can get a 12 or 21 circuit harness depending on how many accessories you want to run. It may not come with some of the switches and sockets a painless would but you can buy them for the few hundred dollars you save. Mine looked like it would have plenty of reach for a long bed.
SBC is a defunct phone company, not an engine option.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I was at a boneyard the other day & I happened to be digging around in a 90's Ford van. There was a bunch of exposed wiring from a previous person. I couldn't help but notice how soft & flexible all the wires are...I want THOSE wires! :D
I haven't seen a Painless kit with my own eyes, are the wires as soft & flexible as newer cars?
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

We use Haywire kits here at the shop. Neat and well labled and none of the extra crap that a painless fuse block involves with power feeds and grounds.

It uses a stout fuse enclosure. nothing is exposed once the cover is in place.

Garbz
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Looks like Haywire has some decent LED taillight setups too. :)
http://haywireinc.com/Merchant2/merchan ... y_Code=LED
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!