Need some help from you pros. :)

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hillbilly66

Need some help from you pros. :)

Post by Hillbilly66 »

Well, I posted my introduction thread, and now I need to get to the meat of why I am here.....to learn.

I've searched and searched, and am having a hard time finding information on 4wd trucks, specifically about brakes. I am in search of information on how to improve stopping power. The truck currently rides on 36" Super Swamper Iroks. I read plenty of information on here about different options for brakes, but very little pertains to 4wds, specifically lifted vehicles with over sized tires. What options do I have besides spending $1800 to get power disc on each corner? What's the best bang for the buck?

I need some things like wipers, tails, headliner, so on and so forth, and I've started collecting magazines, such as Mac's and LMC.... what other valuable parts sources are out there?

One of my major needs is a 4wd front hub assembly. Any thoughts? What years will work for me? Is glass even a possibility of finding? My front glass has been hacked up pretty bad by faulty wipers at some point in it's long life. Might look in to a new viewing screen for the ol girl.

Appreciate any info! :D
Paul Merrell

Re: Need some help from you pros. :)

Post by Paul Merrell »

Does the truck have the original front axle with the drum brakes and the solid ball nuckle at the king pin. If that is the case I would just buy a new front axle from a 77 up with disc barkes. I pick-up one from Flashback Ford's for $350 8 years ago. And used the portional valve from that. The front axle is wider than the rear by 4 inches. I never did like having to adjust the front drum brakes on that old axle and driving around the city folks makes driving a classic tuff.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

As Paul mentioned, Tom and Kathy at Flashback F100's should be first for any parts need, especially modifications. They know slicks, and have "been there, done that". As far as Super Swampers and later model suspension swaps, it can get pretty tight with the big tires.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Hillbilly66

Post by Hillbilly66 »

I really don't know if it's an original axle. It is drum brakes.

Here's the shot....maybe you can tell?

Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

You have a open knuckle. You maybe able to get a disc brake kit from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard but its expensive.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB