Crown Vic or Mustang II???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Crown Vic or Mustang II???

Post by jamesdfo »

Indy63 wrote:If you're on a tighter budget, put a Jag front end or Ford/GM clip in it. The '03+ Crown Vic setup is fine if you want to run 16" or larger wheels with a lot of positive offset. Welding is required any way you go, and a clip swap can easily be done cleanly if you know what you're doing and plan it out. The Jag setup is about as easy as it gets if you can find one.
Here is matt's Jag install thread.......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21313
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

Malibusurfer wrote:Indy, what front clip from Ford/ GM would be the easiest and look right do ya think?????
Thanks!!!
It's not "all Ford" but I'm using a 2nd Gen F-body clip that I picked up for $50. Instead of butting them together or stacking a subframe under the truck's frame (never looks quite right IMO) I "blended" the two together and it turned out surprisingly well. I essentially did the "No Limit method" (popular for late '50s GMs, but the frames are awfully similar) but split the truck's C-channel rails to more easily conform around the pie-cut clip. It honestly took about 10 hours including removing the old steering, suspension, and crossmember. I also had to make up new frame horns because the front of my truck's frame was trashed. It looks a whole lot cleaner than most of the earlier 'Vic clip jobs I've seen (no offense intended to anyone who went that route). All of that said, I probably would have went the Jag route if the front 1/3 of my frame didn't need to be replaced.

I had 302 mounted in it front sump and all but switched gears and am in the process of dropping a 460 in it, so it should still be Ford enough. I'm also using '70s GM steelies that will accept Ford outtie hubcaps.
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Anyone know offhand the track width of our trucks (62') in stock form??? And what is a CV set up??? Early and later 03' and up...
Thanks!!
You guys are awesome and giving me great invaluable info!!!
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

03 to 08 Crown Vics (all Panther series cars of those years) have an aluminum cross member with the disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering and Independent Front Suspension attached that unbolts, and is essentially a bolt-in in our trucks (That's not to say there isn't some cutting and welding involved). It is wider than stock, and requires the use of a wheel with a big offset (16" or larger) that some find objectionable. (Think Mustang Bulllt wheels as an example.)
You can search this site and the internet for some "build" examples. One plus (to many) is the fact that a Modular Ford (4.6, 5.4, etc, etc.) engine fits right in as the motor mounts are an integral part of the cross member.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I really like the way the Industrial Chassis kit went in my '62 unibody. Sits right, caster/camber were easy to set, good range of adjustability, rack and pinion steering, disc brakes with either 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5 are easy to do. I'm really impressed with how it went together. It may be a few more dollars ($800 for IC kit + Dakota Donor pieces) but it's a much nicer answer than the Mustang II that I put in my '57 a few years ago.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

None of my slick projects are stock, so these dimensions are mostly for comparison.
Track width on my uni with mid-90's F-150 steelies is 62 inches front and rear.
My '65 with '77 suspension (4" wider,front and rear) measures 65.5 front and rear with mid-90's Bronco wheels.
The '65 with Fatman MII measures 62" with original wheels, 60" hub to hub; the Mark VIII rear measures 63" hub to hub. yielding 60" track with the stock Mark wheels (which will be swapped for wheels with less positive offset).
The late CV is 67.5 hub to hub, 63.5" track with stock 7" wheels with 5.75 positive offset.
The earlier Panthers are 63" track, 63.25" hub to hub.
The twin-beam slicks are 63" track, 62.5" hub to hub.
These track measurements are, of course, dependent on wheel selection.
To sort this out, utilizing stock wheels as found on the suspension of choice; the later CV will come in at about the same track width as the '77 F-series components used to upgrade the slicks. That makes it a rather tight fit in the wheel housings if wide tires are used, but fit with no problems. The earlier CV will have nearly the same track, albeit with a more conventional offset.
I should put this in chart form, but need to verify stock dimensions from other sources before I do so.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Malibusurfer
United States of America

Post by Malibusurfer »

Great info guys!!!
Love the numbers Toyz!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!!
SPark, I read your thread and like the set up!!! Looks well built!! It was $800 and you had to supply the arms, spindle, rotors, etc????
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I think that the Dakota suspension is probably the best way to go. The Jag front end is cheap and easy to install. We are doing the Jag IFS for Nick's truck plus the IRS. It was really an inexpensive way to go. I might change that idea when I get finished rebuilding the front end.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Malibusurfer wrote:Great info guys!!!
Love the numbers Toyz!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!!
SPark, I read your thread and like the set up!!! Looks well built!! It was $800 and you had to supply the arms, spindle, rotors, etc????

Yes the Kit from Steve at Industrial Chassi is around $800.00 and you have to get the parts that bolt onto the crosssmember from a donor .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
ken_b

Post by ken_b »

The Jag front end is cheap and easy to install.
I've seen a few mentions of this swap.

What Jag is this from?

Is there a related thread here somewhere?
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

ken_b wrote:

What Jag is this from?

Matt has a build thread in the Tips and Hints section.

I am not sure of the starting year but up to 87 XJ6 or XJ12. The xj12 springs are a lot heavier. You can go with the XJ6 or 12 into the 90's but I'm not sure of the difference.
Nick bought his 87 XJ6 for $800, kept the front and rear suspension plus the seats for his truck and sold about $400 worth of parts from it. The cats alone were worth $165

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

after doing my 03 crown vic ifs swap in my unibody i would never use a different one. It was extremely easy and cost effective. I dont think wheel selection is a limited as some people make it out to be. the stock crown vic wheels will work along with a lot of later model mustang wheels and aftermarket wheels.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
ken_b

Post by ken_b »

Thanks Kevin
kstones63 wrote:
ken_b wrote:
What Jag is this from?
Matt has a build thread in the Tips and Hints section.
Kevin