Drive Train Noisy When Coasting

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RonMele

Drive Train Noisy When Coasting

Post by RonMele »

So I've declared my 66 road-ready and we've taken it on a few short drives... It's been 15 years since this truck went more than 5mph around the yard (no brakes) but she drives nice...

Here's the issue: Under power (accelerating or at constant speed) the drive train sounds as it should. On coasting, though, it whines pretty loud. We cannot figure out if it is a vibration getting amplified through the body or what...it's not a grinding sound but a pretty distinct and loud whine or growl. Fluids are fresh and full. (I am reading the service manual and will check the various nuts and bolts for proper torque next time I'm working on it...)

Any other ideas, hints or clues?

Thanks
Ron
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Drive Train Noisy When Coasting

Post by unibody madness »

If it sat for a very long time your diff gears could have rusted causing the whine.. not sure if a good cleanout and new gear oil will help,or if a new gear set is needed.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

If it has 2 piece driveshaft it may be the center carrier bearing.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

x2 on ring gear and pinion . Cant vibrate under load but, under a coasting situation it loosens up and vibrates. :2cents:

Danny
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Could be the rear tranny shaft.Had that in my 66 with the 3 spd

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
RonMele

Post by RonMele »

Thanks Guys..

We did replace the pinion gear at the beginning of this project. The truck also sat for about 15 years (other than a few moments of driving about 3 mph from the garage to the front lawn and back) so rust could be the problem.

I'll suggest these things to my Able Bodied Auto Assistant (brother...he's owned Ford trucks since we were kids!)

If any of you are in northern Connecticut this weekend...I'll have my truck at the Simsbury Airport Fly-in and Car Show on Sunday and Marks Auto Parts on Monday evening. (I am brand new to the car show bit and/but am very excited to show this truck off a bit. I bought it from my nephew..he got it because my Dad (his grandpa) had one like it when I was a kid...my newphew never got far "fixing it up" so I decided to buy it, restore it, and will it back to him...trying to create a family heirloom of sorts.

Anyway, thanks for the tips!

Ron
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

When you say you replaced the pinion, do you mean the ring and pinion set, or just the pinion? If you put a different pinion on the old ring gear, that's the source of the whine.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Could be any number of problems First, I would check the rearend by chocking the front wheels, front and back side. Put the truck in neutral, crawl under the truck, and check rear end slack by turning drive shaft back and forth then grab the yoke and puh up and down to see if there is play in the bearings. After that I would check play up and down motion on the yoke coming out of the transmission. Once you've done that, check to see if you have any grease coming out of the rearend onto the backing plates, if so then you may have bad axle bearings. Jack up the rear axle enough to get the tire off the ground, take a prybar and slip it between the ground and the bottom of the tire, again pry up and down and see if it has bearing play. If it does then you need new bearings , at least on that side. These are all simple checks and ones that should be done. It's a fact that after setting for years and things have drawn moisture then rust may have ruined the bearings. Usually, shopws up after being driven after having been set. Once the rust has been run off , then you have pits where the rust was. Wheel bearings need special attention, because you can loose and axle if things get to loose.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus