3 on the tree opinions wanted

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dmsmith6

3 on the tree opinions wanted

Post by dmsmith6 »

I have a 61 Unibody with a 223 and a three speed. The trans is out of a 64 and is the heavy duty option. I have never had a truck with a three on the tree before. I rebuilt the tranny and have all of the new parts to put the shifter back together on the column. I have heard so many bad things about the linkage binding and sloppy shifts with this set up that I am thinking about going with an original 4 speed. I have the 4 speed trans, just need the bell housing. Just wanted to hear from you guys with a three on the tree. Do they work without problems or is the design just no good?
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Re: 3 on the tree opinions wanted

Post by ezernut9mm »

i have owned many 3 on the tree shifts. and even with a million well used miles they have always worked better than not. in fact, the only real problems i have had were on a 76 olds with a bad clutch. replaced the clutch and no more problems with it either.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

The biggest problem is the collar gets work out. I was able to tighten mine up by having them roll a sleeve to press into it. It was like new again.

Stick with it...they are fun and different.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

go with the 3 on the tree and keep an eye open for the 4 speed bell housing. The 3 speed was used all over the place for years. Not bad, just needs technique.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

The design is fine. My 3 speed works exactly as designed.
Things start to get out of whack when motor mounts are bad or worse when cab mounts are rusty and sagging.
Linkage needs the usual adjustment and proper use of bushings, as well as the shift collar. This is why I think you see a lot of column shifts converted to floor shifters, seems to be an easier way out for some owners. IMHO
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

The major reason to keep the 3 on the tree if you are not planning any " long hauls " is it is better than just about any alarm system today . Most kids today cant even drive a standard floor shifted 5 speed and have never seen a 3 on a tree :D. I am 46 and I am probably from one of the last generations to see 3 on the tree's in semi regular use :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

3 on the tree works great if its in good condition, its not great for powering thru the gears drag race style. I actually enjoy the shifting...
greenindian

Post by greenindian »

3 on the tree! I love mine and have never had any shifting issues with either slick that I have owned (and still do own).
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I agree as well, you have more room for a third party if need be too.
since you are capable of rebuilding a trans as you say, the only reason to change to a floor shifter is if you go for an over drive tranny like the T5. You already have the bell you will need to adapt it, rebuilding a t5 is not bad and the milage will improve. :2cents:
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Three speed on the column is great when everything is in alignment. Problems with shifting are not a big problem, if all components are good. Cab mounts are a big problem on these trucks. If the metal is rotten , or the rubber cab mount bushings are bad, then the cab will shift around causing things to get out of alignment and pressure on linkage parts. this is a real problem because it causes excessive wear on the linkage. When everything is right 3 speed work great. Now, if your hauling heavy loads , then I would go to the 4 speed, especially with the 223s engine.

Rich from Carmi
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

No one has ever asked to borrow my truck with the 3 on the tree, that alone makes it worth it.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Hey Rich. Thanks for calling it a 3 speed on the column, which is what it is. Three on the tree sounds so Jr. High. Might have been "kull" back then, but...
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

OK, where's the "like" button? I hope I got the punctilliation rite! :twisted:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

Thanks to all the folks that replied on the operation. I am going to try it out and see what happens. I think I'll keep looking for the 4 speed bell just to keep as a back up.

As for the terminology police, your own post refers to an F100 as a "Uni". This is not the correct designation for the model, it is an integral cab and body arrangement. So shove your terminology!!! How's that for high school!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm sure there was no malicious intent. A lot of our younger members may not be familiar with the term; obviously, all who posted were. Just as an aside, your corrected designation is inaccurate according to Ford publications :P .
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

:shock:

Another option would be to install floor shift linkage which will eliminate column shifting. problems. The stock four speed would be the t98. The t98 would give you the compound low first gear, good to a max of about twelve miles per hour, albeit straight up hill towing a 50s buick. The end gear would be one to one just like the three speed, and add more weight.
john
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

I don't really want to put the shifter on the floor unless I go with the factory 4 speed. I have the T-98 and it is geared low in 1st, but I plan on running the truck in a couple of local parades. I think it would be great for that. I doubt that I would ever drive on the interstate or venture far from home so speed/weight don't really matter to me. I'm going to try the three speed (on the tree) and keep looking for the 4 speed bell just in case I hate it. Thanks again for all of the ideas and feedback on your own experiences.