Change of Plans! For the Better?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

olliesshop
United States of America

Re: Change of Plans! For the Better?

Post by olliesshop »

Very nice !!! :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Everything done outside except the gable end siding and end of the garden shed and the patio. Can't do those until the door and steel roof sheeting shows up (Oct 21st or around there). Dianne killed the idea I had of ordering steel roof sheeting that was black/gray mottled to better match the shingled roof. Her idea was going with something a little brighter, so........Ford Blue roof it is!

Started the inside work. Drywall jack is supposed to be here Friday afternoon. Wiring is mostly run. Attic ladder is in and all the doors are lying inside. Finally ready to cut the hole in the old wall to make it one big room!

In other good news, I get to return all the crap they sent that I didn't need/use. Tomorrow Mr. Menard gives back a coupe hundred bucks! Almost covers a light day of walking in the door there.

Later,
SPark

1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I confess. I went racing with friends Friday and Saturday and took a break from the garage. Didn't get the drywall jack until Sunday afternoon anyway so it kind of worked out.

Spent Sunday putting in the attic ladder and finished roughing in wiring. Got the hobby room ceiling sheetrocked Monday and the garage area plywood up on Tuesday. Today I re-routed the wiring on the existing south garage wall and moved stuff around and took shelves down so I could get to the wall and actually cut the big hole. Started the big cut!

The hobby room area.

The garage area.

The big hole that makes it all 1 building again! Tomorrow the header goes in and the doors go up.

More racing this weekend. Hope to get the doors in tomorrow so I can get the electrician back to finish everything and sheet the sidewalls. It's getting there!

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Big door is finished! Here it is closed

Here it is in the normal walking pass thru situation

And here it is opened for cars to go thru. Came out pretty good.

Here is the walk thru door on the other end of the garage space.

It leads to the hobby area

Waiting on the electrician to finish his work then the rest gets insulated and wall sheeting. I have learned you can do a lot by yourself if you work smart and slow down. Hopefully get the remaining insulation that is not in the electrician's way done tomorrow and start some wall sheeting where I can.

Drove out and looked at the unibody yesterday. It looks lonely out at the other building, needs to come home!

SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

It's done on the outside! Well at least enough for winter. Still need a few rivets in some trim, a couple screws here and there to be completely done but it will go thru winter and spring just fine if I get no more good days. Weather is supposed to change for the worse here this coming week.

The blue roof came out pretty good.

All that is left on the inside is for the electrician to come back and hook up the remaining lights, put in 2 pieces of wall sheeting and 3 pieces of drywall and blow the insulation in the attic (can't do those things until he wires switches). Already started packing at the other shop and moved a few things back home every time I go out there to get something or make some flashing pieces.

Should be moving in a couple weeks now if I can get the electrician back here!

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, it's basically done. The electrician turned up Saturday and finished the light wiring so it all works! Got the shelves moved and started sorting parts and pieces. Ran air lines and wall mounted all the air outlets and moisture traps.

Moved the Falcon in the new room yesterday (first time it's moved in around 7 years). Put a new custom made 43" wide hub to hub 9" under it with new 31 spline big bearing Moser axles. First thing this morning I brought the Maverick home and got it tucked away. Good room around them to work and move about. Wish it was bigger but don't we always?

That opens up this area for the unibody. The Falcon has sat here forever and there's a fair bit of cleaning to do but I can at least see the floor again (if you use some imagination). The plan is that the uni will be backed in this hole by Saturday. It may not look like it but there is enough room here for the frame and body to be separated and still be sitting together with room to work on both at the same time. The plan for it once I get the FE/C6 mounted (when it gets home) is to get the body and frame apart so that I can do the 4 bar, frame notch and coilover mounts.

Also got started mudding the hobby room. 45* and rain is not good drywall mud drying weather. I have places I mudded 2 days ago that still show moisture. Simple screw holes are taking a day and a half to completely dry, it's crazy.

Now for a dozen trips with tables, work benches, tools, parts and pieces. Still have a couple engines out there to move and some tires and wheels. Hopefully by next weekend it's all cleaned out and the fun can continue on the uni and Maverick projects and working on the drywall mud in between.

Later,
SPark

rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looking good Spark . Your a lot more optimistic than me as far as space goes :D. I see about as much space there as my uni " body " is currently taking up :D.

Ok now for your drywall mud go get a oil filled radiant heater and stick it in the room and turn it on . Get the heat up in the room and the mud will dry quicker :D. You have insulated the room well so the radiant heater should raise the temp enough to get the mud to dry.

I will admit I may be wrong about the area for the uni . I am impressed you got the 2 cars in the back room as it didn't look that big in the pics :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

The slower it dries, the less time I have to spend working on it and the more for playing with my toys. Dianne has already agreed to take the winter to finish the hobby room and move in the spring so no hurry. Slow is good, I can always stick a heater in there if I need to speed things up.

The area for the uni is actually 18'x30'. Take out a few work benches and some tool area around the edges but it's mostly available for the uni. There is enough room in front of the '66 to park the uni and not even put anything in the area the Falcon was sitting in.

Rick,
Looking at heating/cooling systems. Will probably wait until next spring to get it put in but looking at split mini. Will one do the 12x26 and still do the 22x26 or would it take 2 units?

Would I be better off to treat the 12x26 as one zone, the 22x26 as a second zone and the original 30x40 as the third zone or could some of these be combined? The 12x26 is a totally different use (lounge/hiding area, models and magazines) vs the other 2 areas (garage).

What size for each area or combined area? All are 8' ceilings. The original 30x40 has a 12x22 taken out of one corner for Dianne's car that is blocked off and won't be heated/cooled.

Looking for suggestions, most my local guys shrug, mumble and say they will get back to me......eventually.

SPark

rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Spark they make mini splits that have one outside unit and 2 inside units that work well for you in both areas . The rear room and hobby room combined are just over the area I would recommend for a 1 ton unit normally but they are well insulated so that makes some difference . The larger front area you could go with one 2 ton unit or a split of 2 1 ton units one on each side of the building . Let me dig a little and see what I can find for you . The hobby room like I said is small enough to heat with a small radiant heater for now so no rush back there :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, it's all moved to my house as of today. The country shop is basically cleaned out. Got the last little parts and pieces moved today that are coming home. Selling my 66" sheet metal brake so I don't plan to bring it home. Also left the front axle from the uni out there. If nobody wants it, it goes to the scrap guy. Other than those 2 items, it's all moved home now!

Now, all I have to do is clean it and put it all away. Things are fitting in the building pretty well. Drywall is about 50% done. Getting a good pile of race auction/swap meet parts in one corner. Getting rid of more parts, remaining race stuff and odds and ends.

Found a nice RF fender, hood and front valance a couple weeks ago in St Charles, MO. Got the 430 delivered to it's new owner. Searching for that all elusive 4x4 FE pan so I can fit the 390 (+/-) in the uni and create engine mounts, exhaust, etc. The Mav seems happy at home and has a new hood and rear valance.

From here on out it's back to the unibody build thread.

Later,
SPark