Carb/Distributor Combo

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Enikolich

Carb/Distributor Combo

Post by Enikolich »

I've been working on cars, trucks and motorcycles since I was a teenager. Every now and then end up chasing a problem that's so obvious, it's staring me right in the face. When I got my '66, it had a terrible vacuum leak from the Holley that had ben "adapted" onto the intake. The mounting holes were elongated and there was just no salvaging it. I figured the vacuum leak was what was making the truck run hotter than it should.

Carb replaced with an Autolite 1100 and perfectly rebuilt be me. Hot temperatures kept me chasing myself in circle though. Flushed the block, new water pump, etc. Then the light bulb came on. The distributor had also been changed at some point during the trucks life. Changed to a non-Loadomatic distributor.

Probably common knowledge to most of you on this site, but just thought I'd post it in the hints section for reference. An Autolite with the spark control valve has to be matched to a Loadomatic distributor! Here's a great article on how to modify the carburetor so it can be used with a non LOM distributor: http://www.63fordfalcon.com/articles/au ... matic.html

Yes, the other option would be to swap the distributor, but this modification is just a few bucks for set screws and a couple gasket.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Carb/Distributor Combo

Post by bobenhotep »

I wondered about that. I put a 300 in my 63 out of a 1980 truck and it became a non issue. Good to see my suspicions were correct.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.