@#! Government

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bruceandersson

@#! Government

Post by bruceandersson »

I just finished faxing a bunch of information over to the Ohio Dept of Taxation to prove what I paid for my 1966 F100. Since the various state and federal tax cuts over the past decade, everyone is looking to try and find money anywhere they can. Ohio is reviewing all vehicle transactions. No new taxes is BULLS***. I paid $2000 for the truck early in the year. A good price for a fairly original running truck. The state of Ohio uses information they get from 36 dealers around the state and decided somehow that the average price for a 1966 f100 in the rust belt of Ohio is closer to $8100. I also honestly stated what I paid for the truck and paid my taxes. Talking to them on the phone is a waste of time. If I could get anywhere near $8100 for this truck, I'd sell it in a minute. How many car dealers in Ohio do you think has even had a '66 on their lot? When I asked about the concept of them needing to prove guilt vs me needing to prove innocence they said it always works that way with taxes. Sorry for the rant, I had to vent somewhere.
fmartin_gila

Re: @#! Government

Post by fmartin_gila »

That's not a new thing with State Governments being money hungry. As some of you know, I have been a Pilot for close to 40 years and have owned a number of Airplanes over that time that I have used for personal and pleasure flying. Back in the late 80s, I had bought and sold 3 planes one year, 2 in the same time frame, and since Aircraft are registered Nationally and are also required to be registered (along with paying a tax) in the State of Residence, I had to register all in the State of Az. The Arizona Department of Revenue sent me a letter that demanding that I purchase a Aircraft Dealer's License. I sent them a note that they could put their Lisense where the "Sun don't shine" and never heard from them again about that subject.

Fred
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Divide and conquer, as most of us are little people and don't choose to spend most of our life savings to defend ourselves from this kind of aggression, this kind of thing continues. What's worse, is that the thousands we would have to spend to fight it, goes to the same group of people that originated these same laws. If we don't fight these kind of bulship , then we get more of it. So how do you go about fighting something like this? I suggest starting by finding our how many others have been hit hard like you. There have to be a lot of collectors and little guys that are in the same boat. Local Craigslist might be a good start on gathering a number of people for support and protest. Otherwise, I would take my receipt for the truck and protest loudly all the way to my state government reps and senators both. 8100$ is bulship, and could be proved, if you want to go far enough. This sounds more like beaurocratic administration than laws. What they are doing does not reflect actual value nor even accurate appraisal, and you might start by getting said appraisal.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Just like cockroaches, you will find that these fellows run from the light of day.
Venting here is a start, but if you can find a media consummer person out your way, with a big enough brodcast signal in your state, these kind of abuses would stop.
Gather a file of similar truck sales, not ads, from across the web and maybe even have the truck appraised,then go to your media guy.
You don't have to go broke fighting injustice if you own a flashlight. The court of public appeal always wins with these guys.
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
lucky23

Post by lucky23 »

That is absolutely insane. Make as big a stink as you can! Get the governors email address and have all of the members of this forum send a protest.
1966 F250/352/cruiseomatic tranny/Dana 60 4.10
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

Move to a different state. Most politicians aren't going to listen to anyone, especially people who want to decrease tax revenue - they only notice when there is less tax money collected or they get voted out. Make too big a stink against taxes in the news and you're likely to wind up being audited. Good luck finding a media source to report it anyway as it doesn't exactly fit their agenda.

If you wanted to skate around the fees but still want to live in a place with such a ridiculous tax, look into changing your legal (not necessarily physical) residency. It's more common than you'd think to avoid such taxes and certain inspections.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Right now I am trying to ensure I do not get sent to collections for money I do not owe. I sent a copy of the canceled check, the email trail of the negotiations that correspond to the purchase, the ad from this site (which unfortunately did not directly reference the price since it just contained a link to an expired craigslist ad), and a report from ebay on recent slick sales where none of the trucks were sold for over $6500 and most were $2500 or less. What we really need is an organization like the NRA. The NRA carries a lot of weight for having a relatively small percentage of the population as members. The problem is that it does not take people, it takes money to get anyone's attention. In one of my conversations they mentioned that they are reviewing all private party auto sales and have found that most of them involve fraudulent declaration of purchase price. I can agree this might be a real problem, especially if you use way over-inflated values for the vehicles. I suspect this is simply a revenue enhancement opportunity. They can continue to employ a few more pencil pushers just by the percentage of people who find it easier to just make the payment than to argue with them. So let's see who this process benefits: the pencil pusher continue to justify their existence, and car dealers. Car dealers might benefit if this practice discourages private party sales. They are a pretty strong lobbying group here. They are pushing a bill here to force all manufacturers to use a franchise retail model with no company owned dealerships. Oh well I drone on....
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

The only time I had the state of Ohio asking what I payed for a vehicle was a few years after I traded a car to a friend,not much value was put on the title when I got it from another friend and it got passed around a few times so I am guessing it eventually got sold to a dealer who put down the actual selling price.
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

Update?
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

germany is one of the tightest regulated countries on the planet. the speed limit on the autobahn in most cases is unlimited. know why? the adac. they have an enthusiast based car club that actually successfully lobbies the governing body for the right to drive that fast. we should get something like that going here.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Well I did finally locate the actual bill of sale that I had on Nevada paperwork and faxed that in. Got a letter informing me that I had satisfied them and there would be no further action. I obviously spent way too much time thinking about this and think I know why this is occurring. I suspect that the process is being sponsored in one way or another by the auto dealerships. By making private party sales more difficult, a lot of people will be discouraged from buying or selling their vehicles themselves. Its interesting that they get their valuations from a select 36 dealerships in the state.